commuting cx?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Hi guys sorry to bust up your CX party, and equally unsorry not to have used the search thing!
I want to buy a good CX bike for commuting but have in mind to do a little cross. Also I will use the bike as my Winter hack - until the reliability series start so I intend to put a 50 ring on it. Would the Cannondale CX Tiagra be a good choice or are thee better?

keeper

by keeper

I've got an C-dale X6 equipped with tiagra. I don't race, but I use it for just banging around. It would make a great commuter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

I'd probably get one of the Focus Mares cross bikes from Wiggle in that price range, but I actually ride a 2005 Kona JtS for the kind of stuff you describe and wouldn't say no to the 2009 version if you can run to an extra hundred quid over the Cannondale. Those bikes have either 105 or Ultegra, both of which are well worth having over Tiagra. You'd be paying a considerable premium to get the Cannondale frame, which is a personal judgment only you can make.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

thanks for the replies - food for thought I'll keep you posted. In Ireland I don't have much choice on CX frames/bikes but the one decisive factor is if I put a 50 on to the chainset will I be ale to stay with the bunch during the Winter club runs? ( to be honest I' by no means the slowest at the moment) Thanks for all replies good luck guys