Outboard bearings or not?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ghastly

by Ghastly

I'm building up my first cx bike (i struggling to follow trainingbuddy's on my heavy mtb...) and i'm having trouble chosing the crank.
I have a alu chorus with a square bb and a alu UT centaur crank. Both non-compact.

I have been told that those outboard bearings tend to get filled with mud and water and start to drag, so I'm leaning toward a square bb, but with what crank? The alu non-compact chorus (with TA rings) or a (old-)new compact one. And where do I find those??

Btw: rest of the group will be 05 chorus with 07 centaur rd and alu spooky's

Grtz

ls

by ls

I don't know about the Campag ones, but in my experience of Shimano the outboard bearings last much longer - I used to get through Ultegra or DA octalink ones in around six weeks, but the hollowtech II ones on my current 'cross bikes are on their third season now, still going strong :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have seen a number of people comment that the old Campy square taper BB's are much more water tight compared to the outboard bearing options out there. Most recently on that post about Cadel Evans bike in Australia. I can't personally provide a comparison - both my CX bikes still have Campy square BB's. Come to think of it, I have not changed either of those in years. Bombproof.

There are still a number of makers out there with nice square taper cranks to chose from. Tune, Middleburn, White Industries, you might even find some Ritchey's available. With the right choice of cassette, the non-compact Campy cranksets are great. I run a 46 or 48 with a 39 up front and a 13-26 (8 speed) cassette in the back.

Ghastly

by Ghastly

oke, part of problem solved. I'll be using my non-compact chorus cranck with square bb.
Now, what chainrings can i use on this cranck? I'm thinking about 46-39, so I just need a 46. Does a TA ring fit campa crancks?
Combining with a 13-26 cassette at back, will that give me enough choices?

Thx

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Ghastly wrote:oke, part of problem solved. I'll be using my non-compact chorus cranck with square bb.
Now, what chainrings can i use on this cranck? I'm thinking about 46-39, so I just need a 46. Does a TA ring fit campa crancks?
Combining with a 13-26 cassette at back, will that give me enough choices?

Thx

TA does make a 135mm bcd ring in a 46T. I ran a 46/39 setup this season with a 13-26 10 speed cassette this entire season. I found it to be really nice for a bike that gets use riding on some gravel roads as well as racing.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Yes, the TA will fit. At least, it will fit the 135mm bcd campy cranks.
I have a 39-48 on centaur cranks.
Be warned though, that the 110mm replacement rings (like TA's) for campy will *not* fit the campy compact 110mm cranks.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Well, have to correct myself. I have some issues with the TA rings on campy UT cranks

Ghastly

by Ghastly

Koen,

i'm not going to use the UT's, so i think those will be compatible, no?!
Sorry to hear about your problem...

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Yes with the pre-ut cranks you should be fine :)

Ghastly

by Ghastly

just to let you know that it's done:

Changed since then:
- new Centaur rear derailleur
- new KMX X10sl chain
- new Veloce 13-26 cassette
- new tires: Continental Speedking 35mm
- and I cleaned it and made it dirty again, and cleaned it, and dirty again...

So new piccas on the way off the completed project!

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Don't know if you're bothered, but your front straddle cable looks pretty short, and the rear a little on the long side.
Serious delirium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghastly

by Ghastly

with straddle cable you mean the cable between the both brakes?
I don't really have problems with it, just have to tighten the front brake, but i have more then stopping power enough, mainly because i don't use it to race, but only training and then mostly on the road...

Thx for the link!