Spooky Brake installation Qs

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Just got a Ridley XWind, was building it lastnite in hopes of racing today.. well that hit a brick wall... one of the springs has not been coilled up as much as the other 3 so I can't even install one of the brakes to the frame...

The other question is the amount of play... the brakes came with no instructions, the front brakes are mounted to the frame, no cables installed.. there is no play in the brakes when I wiggle them... I have the one brake installed on the rear, but I can grab it and wiggle it with considerable play.... Is this normal?? I didn't think it would.. seems like I got a couple of dud springs??

Looking for advice before requesting a new set from the dealer.

Chris

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

you can try to set the springs up in different anchor holes to get the same tension on both sides. So far as the wiggle room, my setup seems to have a little play as well but has not been a problem. The fork has a little less than the back end, but it seems to me that since they are running on bushings and not a bearing too tight would not allow a smooth motion. I have never had any sort of rear brake chatter (that would be odd) or any sort of click or strange feeling when applying the brakes.
Worst case though you should have a quick turn around time on the springs with the North American distributor being in Canada (Nelson I believe).

by Weenie

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Thanks for the reply... one spring has definately not been coiled up enough... when I insert it in any hole, the longer part of the spring which would hook into the brake is actually pointing to the INSIDE towards the rim!! It's missing a half turn on the coil! Rather disappointed since I was hoping to do a few races this weekend...

Thanks... I ordered from cyclocrossworld... I hope they can send me a few springs quick.