Sealed derailleur cables for cross

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thrice

by Thrice

First race of the season and my cables are already gritty and sluggish. I've been thinking of going to a sealed system but I'm afraid that the liner will get cut when I pick up the bike. I've run sealed cables on my mountain bike in the past but once the liner gets cut water/dirt gets in there and kills the shifting.

Any thoughts/experience?

by Weenie

Griswald4x4

by Griswald4x4

I would do it, you could run some electrical tape or Nokon like sleeves around the commonly contacted areas.
Superflies!

BORCHETTO
Shop Owner

by BORCHETTO

I'm using the Gore-Tex sealed cable system for years now in cross. It's a pitty that it isn't available any more. I've never had problems with it.

BORCHETTO
Shop Owner

by BORCHETTO

There is a new alternative for the Gore Ride-on sealed cable system, called Aktiv-8. It uses the same sealing system.
Attachments
a807topshiftbb.jpg

Thijsje

by Thijsje

Yup! Aktiv-8 works great! I use it for the brake cables...

SLight

by SLight

Ride-on cables are available again ! sealed or not sealed

Vertigo Cycles

by Vertigo Cycles

I've heard that Gore is reintroducing their Ride-on cables, but where? Their site doesn't have any info on it, nor can I find anything but rumors on the internet. I can't seem to find much info on Aktiv8 either other than on Carbonfreaks.

Tristan

by Tristan

Why not just run full-length housing?

Most mountain bikes have gone this way, even the XC-race oriented Specialized Epic.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

BORCHETTO
Shop Owner

by BORCHETTO

Full housing isn't an option as long as the framebuilders don't install the right attachments to the cc-frames. Besides, even with full cable housing dirt can get in from the side of the derailleur, so you still have to find a way to seal that area.

Tristan

by Tristan

If you remove the threaded adjuster from a Shimano downtube boss then sp41 housing will fit through. Use an in-line cable adjuster so you can tune the gears while riding if needed.

Zipties and / or electrical tape can hold the rest of the housing.

It might not be the 'cleanest' install, however your shifting will work crisply no matter how thick the mud.

The amount of crud which gets in from the rear derailleur barrel adjuster is minimal. Most contamination comes from under the bb cable guide or the cablestops under the downtube and chainstays...of course having the cables routed along the toptube helps but this seems to be quite rare.

I'm surprised the custom builders don't offer mountainbike style zip-tie-on cableguides. I'll insist on these when I order my Zank :wink:
Wheelworks.co.nz

BORCHETTO
Shop Owner

by BORCHETTO

Maybe they don't offer it because of the historical fact that cyclocrossframes are in fact modified roadframes, and mtb seems to have no place in that tradition (at least not in Europe). Most european cyclocrossframe manufacturers have toptube cablerouting I think (except for a few that route the frontder.cable along the downtube).

mayhem

by mayhem

Gore Tex is definitely back in the biz. I'm friends with one of the engineers on the project. I do not have any details as to when/where, but it will be out.

I'd highly recommend Dura Ace/XTR brake/der cable sets. Full housing run is just overkill whereas these cable sets hold up amazingly well. When I worked in a shop I'd simply replace standard cable/housing about once a month during the 'cross season. I made it thru an entire season this year, which is a first. Plus, they're dirt cheap and no worries about breaking the liner since there is none.

Vertigo Cycles

by Vertigo Cycles

I was one of the hoarders of Gore cables and I still have a few sets leftover from six or seven years ago. It just lasts forever on a roadie and I still have it on my RB-1 from it's original installation in 1997.

I spoke with Gore yesterday and they tell me that it's available now. Their NW rep is supposed to give me a call so we can meet and I can check out the samples. I'll get a few sets and post pics or something. It really is superior to full housing in every way but cost.

Back in the mid 90's when I was doing a lot of MTB racing in the east coast muck and running a full Paul's brake setup (no return springs on the levers) I'd have to replace standard cables and housing once a month to keep the lever action snappy, but I could get two years on Gore. It was the same deal with the rear shift setup. Does anyone remember when Shimano went to a light action spring in their rear derailleurs? There were a few companies who offered a stiffer replacement. The Gore system also eliminated the problem caused by the weak spring.

A few friends of mine who were also mechanics back then hated the stuff, but it's because they can't follow directions.

by Weenie

Tristan

by Tristan

Nokons can also be used like the Gore setup....you can buy 5m rolls of the inner liner from the Nokon wholesaler, more than enough to run from shifter to derailleur. It is more time-consuming to thread the pearls on, however this needs to be done less.

Ive been using full-length housing for 12-odd years since living in Canada. I believe it works almost as well as the excellent Gore kits, yet costs a fraction of the price.
Wheelworks.co.nz