Cross bike fit question.

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I just picked up an awesome deal on a crossbike. I'm not sure how serious I will get about it but I figured I would try it and it would make a great alternative to my rollers in the winter.

How does your cross bike position differ from your road bike. Do you mimick your road postion or are your bars higher to keep your weight back for traction?

Enlighten the unenlightened.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie

zank

by zank

From my road bike to my cross bike, my reach is 3 mm shorter and the bars are 5 mm higher on the cross bike. Most of the courses we have here are pretty fast and not technical. Most riders are going closer and closer to their road positions than they did in the past when courses had more technical sections. It's funny, but now the riders that call courses "jungle cross" or "mountain bike like" have either never raced cross on some of the harder courses of the past or have never been on a mountain bike course. The courses are pretty tame now.

Thrice

by Thrice

3mm and 5mm?? You can tell a 3mm difference?

zank

by zank

Yes, but I feel the bar height difference more.

Griswald4x4

by Griswald4x4

I know the majority of cross bikes I have fit folks to have been for winter training, which is generally a more relaxed/upright fit than customer's typical road fits. If you intend to ride your cross bike like you ride your road bike then keep the fit more identical.

Saddle height and saddle fore/aft I would try and duplicate as closely as possible. Raising the bars as well as bringing them in couldn't be a bad idea. These adjustments could be made by the geometry of the frame in some instances.

Which frame have you scored?
Superflies!

by Weenie

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Griswald4x4 wrote:I know the majority of cross bikes I have fit folks to have been for winter training, which is generally a more relaxed/upright fit than customer's typical road fits. If you intend to ride your cross bike like you ride your road bike then keep the fit more identical.

Saddle height and saddle fore/aft I would try and duplicate as closely as possible. Raising the bars as well as bringing them in couldn't be a bad idea. These adjustments could be made by the geometry of the frame in some instances.

Which frame have you scored?

I picked up a new K2 Enemy equiped with Shinamo 105, Alex cross wheels and a carbon fork for only $850. I hated to spend a lot of money on something that I'm not sure about.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.