spooky carbon weight?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ecl2k

by ecl2k

It looks like the standard aluminum spooky's are about 152 grams per pair - can't find the carbon weight even with a search. They cost a lot more and want to be sure they aren't the same weight or heavier!

cyclocrossmonkey

by cyclocrossmonkey

I'm pretty sure the carbons are around 128g a set.

by Weenie

zank

by zank

Mine weighed 125 g for everything including Spooky cable hangers. The hangers weigh 18 g for the pair. I swapped them out for some old Avid Tri-Dangles that were 10 g per pair.

The last set of Aluminum Spookys I got weighed 155 g for everything including Spooky hangers.

ecl2k

by ecl2k

Does the 125 gram spooky weight include brake pads? I have seen the ciamillo GX brakes listed as 118 grams all inclusive (straddle cable hanger, pads, etc.).

I guess my real question is what are the lightest cyclocross brakes?

iubike

by iubike

I will find out in the next few days on the weight. Mine are "guaranteed" to be here by Friday for this weekend.

zank

by zank

ecl2k wrote:Does the 125 gram spooky weight include brake pads? I have seen the ciamillo GX brakes listed as 118 grams all inclusive (straddle cable hanger, pads, etc.).

I guess my real question is what are the lightest cyclocross brakes?

The 125 did not include pads. It was for 4 arms, 4 springs, 4 bolts, 4 washers, 4 cable anchors and 2 straddle hangers (no wire though). So basically a full bikes worth not including pads or straddle cable. The 4 yehstar pads weigh 125 grams, for a total of 250 grams complete for one bike. Is the weight of the Ciamillo GX for one wheel? If so, it looks like they would have the advantage by about 14 grams (118 x 2 = 236 grams total vs 250 grams total for the Spooky Carbon).

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

I thought that the Ciamillo CX brakes were to be the lightest on the market -- maybe I miss read something. The TRP EuroX Mags are claimed at 103g/ end and the carbon adjust version at 109g/ end. I know that the weight differences that we are talking about here are extreamly minimal, but when you are changing out the headset bolt with an aluminum one and the bottle cages with plastic ones then every bit helps.

All this being said, I am using the Spooky brakes because I trust them and have purchased them multiple times when I am thinking about trying a new brake. TRP may change this for next year but can't say until I put money down.

ecl2k

by ecl2k

So the TRP mags are 103g including all of the hardware including pads? 206 grams per bike.

Someone needs to buy ALL of these brakes and weigh them and blog'em up with pics IMO. :)

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I am reasonably sure that the TRP Mag weight is exclusive of the pads. But the TRP pads and holders are certainly worth some extra weight - I even put them on the Spooky Carbons that just went on my wife's cross bike. They are the best way I have seen so far to keep the Spooky brakes from doing the squeeling that comes with imperfectly aligned pads.

BTW - 125 here also for spooky carbons - no pads.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

someone already has all these brakes at home;-)well most of them. i'll put everything on the scale tomorrow.

ecl2k

by ecl2k

iubike and simon - how about some weights :) thanks

ecl2k

by ecl2k

Ok, so it turns out that the TRP eurox carbon is like 107g (like 214g for a complete bike, including pads/pad holders) and the mag is just 4-5 grams less. I suppose this puts the ZG brakes in third place at a reported 236g complete and the spooky carbons in 4th at 250g complete.

trp eurox carbon pic on scale here:
http://mudandcowbells.blogspot.com/2008 ... th-in.html

WINNER = eurox mag?? too bad they're kinda ugly

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

I am not sure, but I think that the adjustment barrel on the EuroX Mags (while very nice) may push the weight up around the carbon non-adjust range. TRP has had a lot of good feedback with the adjustment feature and added it to a carbon version but that does not look to be the one in the picture.

ecl2k

by ecl2k

zero gravity gx brakes are 208 g per bike all inclusive (pads, straddle cable and hanger, brake post polts). Requires a fixed straddle length, only adjustment seems to be the straddle cable hanger. Don't see a way for the pads to toe in or independently move toward the rim, but you can adjust the height of the pad. They use v-brake cartridge brakepad inserts like the swiss stop Rx. TRP eurox are more adjustable but these look really rigid.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

ecl2k wrote:...but these look really rigid.

And incredibly ugly!

by Weenie