Gravel Gearing Question

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bigevil

by bigevil

I’m coming from a mullet build [Ultegra 50/34 up front, XTR 11-40T in the back] and wondering what my best options are getting as close to that range (especially on the low end for climbing) if I go to a regular 2x setup or 1x setup. I really really LOVE the 34/40 combo when I’m in gnarly steep gradient slow climbs.

If staying 2x
Sram XPLR seems like 43/30 in front and either a 10-36 in back or 10-44 in back are the options. both seem like I’ll keep my climbing but lose some high end. Also there's no power meter on that so I could also do the 46-33 with a 10-36 but I lose a lot of climbing there.

Shimano GRX with 48/31 in front and 10-34 or 10-40 in back is very close to what I’ve got now but not nearly as wide ranging. Plus its ugly as all hell and seems like it needs an update.

If going 1x things get trickier

Sram xplr with a 10-44t cassette in back, and a 38 or 40t ring in front seems like I’ll keep climbing relatively easy, but steps might be gnarly. not sure.

GRX I’d have to go 40T and then need a 10-44T cassette to get close to the same range right?

Anything I’m missing? definitely not opposed to a mullet build again but I'd really like to keep the build as light as possible and not have to use things like the wolftooth roadlink dm etc.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Xplr is 1x only, unless you want to experiment yourself.

Axs wide is 43/30 and 10-36 officially but that gearing is a bit below what you already have. 5% relative easier at the highest gear and 2% relative easier on the lowest

Axs regular you can go 46/33 and 10-36 out back. More top end by 1% and 7% relative tougher lowest gear.

Or you can go with something like and Easton crank and the grx gearing out back. I think they have 47/32 which gives a nice spread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Why do you want to change? I'm running 50/34 and 11/40 XTR too. The only way I'm likely to change that is if I change to an 11/42 S-Road cassette. Oh and btw you don't need to use the Wolftooth DL DM for this, and I don't. Albeit if you're not running a DM hanger then maybe it's more necesary.

Because of the Ultegra crankset? I'm running SRAM Red GXP AXS cranks with a DFour PM and Rotor Q rings ... just change the crankset if that's what bothers you. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

zmjones

by zmjones

RDY wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:36 pm
Why do you want to change? I'm running 50/34 and 11/40 XTR too. The only way I'm likely to change that is if I change to an 11/42 S-Road cassette. Oh and btw you don't need to use the Wolftooth DL DM for this, and I don't. Albeit if you're not running a DM hanger then maybe it's more necesary.

Because of the Ultegra crankset? I'm running SRAM Red GXP AXS cranks with a DFour PM and Rotor Q rings ... just change the crankset if that's what bothers you. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
i also run this setup and although the range is great i think the shifting is not 100% perfect and in really rough stuff i think there is a higher probability of chaindrop. i used to run the same combo with a wolftooth tanpan and an xtr sgs rd which didn't have this problem, but the grx 2x rd isn't quite as long. i wish i could get a garbaruk cage that would work with 2x but apparently they do not.

my other reason is i really would prefer to keep my quarq and a shimano drivetrain which means i am stuck with 50/34 as my minimum 2x chainring size.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I have XPLR with a 42T and a 10-44T. Not super low but the only times I feel like I need lower is near the tail end of long races (think 80+miles) when exhaustion has set in.

The high gear is much higher than you think utilizing the 10T. It's rare that I spin out. Overall, I'm happy with it.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stalkersk

by stalkersk

You lose about 5rpm going from 34-40 to 33-36. Which is really not much in the end I use 44/10-50 (650bx2.1)" or 46/33 - 10-36 (700x45mm) the ratio on 650b is similar to yours and on 20+% climbs it is really negligible in the end, I can ride same stuff on both without any extra fatigue.