Hope X2 FM caliper with SRAm drop bar levers

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

lightklein2

by lightklein2

Hey

does anyone run the Hope X2 flat mount caliper with SRAM drop bar levers? According to the Hope technician that works well.
The X2 FM caliper would be way lighter but does have les brake power, then die Hope RX4+.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Another option, trickstuff c22 flat mount
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

lightklein2

by lightklein2

I know, but it will be more expensive, heavier and is still not available.

rothwem

by rothwem

Looks like piston size on the Hopes is 22mm. The HRD calipers are 18mm, so you'd probably not have great luck with the mechanical HRD levers.

I think AXS runs a 21mm piston, so the 22mm size of the Hope X2 might be close enough that the difference isn't noticeable.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

rothwem wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:50 am
Looks like piston size on the Hopes is 22mm. The HRD calipers are 18mm, so you'd probably not have great luck with the mechanical HRD levers.

I think AXS runs a 21mm piston, so the 22mm size of the Hope X2 might be close enough that the difference isn't noticeable.
For someone who's interested in this matching:
I am using sram red 22 mechanical hydro grouppo paired with 21mm D axs version caliper.
F: really good. no squish feelings at all. + the gap between pads and the rotor is just fine.
R: At first, even I pull the lever for maximum stroke, it was squish and did not provide enough stopping power. So I meticuously re-bleed it for 3 times and made the piston gap little bit closer by pumping the lever without rotor and pads mounted(you know, the piston advancement technique...) Now it is just like the front one. Satisfied.

rothwem

by rothwem

Pyotrump wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am
rothwem wrote:

I am using sram red 22 mechanical hydro grouppo paired with 21mm D axs version caliper.
F: really good. no squish feelings at all. + the gap between pads and the rotor is just fine.
R: At first, even I pull the lever for maximum stroke, it was squish and did not provide enough stopping power. So I meticuously re-bleed it for 3 times and made the piston gap little bit closer by pumping the lever without rotor and pads mounted(you know, the piston advancement technique...) Now it is just like the front one. Satisfied.
Hey, that's good to hear. I guess your rotors are pretty true then? The intermittent rotor contact is what I worry about, since the piston area of the AXS brakes is 36% larger than the mechanical HRD ones. You would technically get more power, but the piston would move less per increment of lever pull. I guess if there's "enough" room though, that's all that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

rothwem wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:28 pm
Pyotrump wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am
rothwem wrote:

Hey, that's good to hear. I guess your rotors are pretty true then? The intermittent rotor contact is what I worry about, since the piston area of the AXS brakes is 36% larger than the mechanical HRD ones. You would technically get more power, but the piston would move less per increment of lever pull. I guess if there's "enough" room though, that's all that matters.
Yes No need to worry about it. However, I do not think my rotor is that straight. I can see slight wobbling (but no contact and no ting ting sound) but it works. :beerchug: I hope there will be no future problems.