OPEN U.P. Seattube

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

trainergav

by trainergav

Hi all,

For those who have an OPEN U.P., are any of you having trouble with the seat tube getting pinched by the seatpost collar when set up in the recommended position (clamp facing forwards)? I'm on my second U.P. with that issue. The seatpost clamp deformed the seat tube so much that the layers started to separate on the first one. The second one just got built up and that area has already started to squeeze a bit. I've reversed the clamp so that the slit on both the seat tube and also the collar are lined up which should solve the issue but I am wondering if this is a common problem? Thanks!

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

It's a known issue. Best bet is to get a seat collar that doesn't have the tab so you can install it facing backwards and not forward, so the seat clamp area isn't at a location which could cause bunch up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmCube

by bmCube

yes, I had the same issue, I tapped the little tab inside the collar a little outside, so I could use the collar facing backwards.

jeffreybeaumont

by jeffreybeaumont

Hi all,

I've just go my UP two weeks ago, and that's a bit scary. (And my english is pretty basic)
Can you confirm that I haven't done a mistake setting up my collar seat this way?

It can be bad for the frame?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

trainergav

by trainergav

jeffreybeaumont wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:43 pm
Hi all,

I've just go my UP two weeks ago, and that's a bit scary. (And my english is pretty basic)
Can you confirm that I haven't done a mistake setting up my collar seat this way?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
The pic that you have included is how my frame(s) were set up initially. That is the way OPEN recommends the clamp to be set up but also the way that made my frame bulge. I have since turned it the other way which OPEN is also okay with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffreybeaumont

by jeffreybeaumont

trainergav wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:18 pm
jeffreybeaumont wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:43 pm

The pic that you have included is how my frame(s) were set up initially. That is the way OPEN recommends the clamp to be set up but also the way that made my frame bulge. I have since turned it the other way which OPEN is also okay with.
Thanks for your answer!
Is something that is covered by the frame warranty in your case?