budget 1X mech groupset with 2X gear range

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

prokyon

by prokyon

Hello, as the title says, I want to re-create the gearing range similar to the new 13-speed EKar or the 12-speed AXS SRAM groupsets but on a budget, something like 10-44 cassette with 44T or 46T chainring is enough for me
  • EKar is alright, but a bit too pricey and the cranks don't have any dual sided power meter options

SRAM Force AXS and Rival AXS tick all the boxes, but being electronic cost a bit more (can run Force cranks and cassette with everything else from Rival)
Is there a groupset mashup out there (like using a mountain bike cassette and rear derailleur maybe) which provides me with the gear range and has power meter options? Or should I just grab EKar and use some other cranks which support 13-speed chainrings and a power meter (preferably dual sided)?

This will go on a CX bike which will be used for both CX and gravel and all-road rides, hence the versatility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgcx

by kgcx

Ratio technology makes a kit to allow Sram 11 speed mechanical to be able to shift 12 and 13 speed groupsets. That would give you a cheaper way to use 12-13 speed wide range cassettes, or just get an e-thirteen 9-42/46 11 speed cassette.

kervelo

by kervelo

How about the mechanical SRAM Force 1 group?
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/road/serie ... ncy&page=1

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Shimano Grx, Sram Rival/ Force

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Range won't be hard to replicate, but chainring / gearing steps will be.
Ekar nailed it with their gearing progression/steps. 10-15 single tooth, then progressively gets easier as you're down the cassette
http://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=42& ... H&DV=teeth

Closest you can get is probably going XPLR, but the steps are spaced too much at bottom and too little at the top

For Ekar PM options you might be better off with pedals like the Garmin or Favero.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Get an 11 speed GRX 1x and a e*13 9-46T cassette.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

ricerocket wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:57 am
Get an 11 speed GRX 1x and a e*13 9-46T cassette.
Basically my set up. Ultegra RX rear mech, 36t chainring on the front and 9-39 cassette on the back, perfect off road range for me.

prokyon

by prokyon

yinzerniner wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:27 am
Ekar nailed it with their gearing progression/steps. 10-15 single tooth, then progressively gets easier as you're down the cassette

Closest you can get is probably going XPLR, but the steps are spaced too much at bottom and too little at the top

For Ekar PM options you might be better off with pedals like the Garmin or Favero.
I had the Garmin Rally pedals - clip mechanism folded in half over onto itself with a single rock strike, plus the pedals kept malfunctioning and disconnecting from my computer the whole time - piece of crap. I spent 2 years bashing my Shimano XT pedals on all sorts of rocks - they look like they went through a war zone and work perfectly fine - Garmin ones are made of super soft alloy.

There is a mod to get Favero road pedals to work with SPD body, but the PM part of the pedal sticks out past the crank arm - will break that on a rock for sure. X-Power are the only pedals on the market I will consider. I also like the SQLab longer spindle pedals to get a better bike fit, so... would rather just get PM cranks and anything by Rotor is just too darn expensive.

I think the most sane way out of this is a SRAM Rival AXS groupset with cranks, cassette and chain from Force AXS (XPLR cassette and deraileur): $400 cheaper than all-Force gorupo, 43g heavier and Rival brakes and hoods are a newer design too - plenty of FC options too for various gearings... plus Force PM is great I hear. Had issus with my Power2Max PM also.

prokyon

by prokyon

yinzerniner wrote:
I wonder if Force AXS crankset will work with EKar... maybe with some aftermarket chainring or something? That would be dope.

satanas

by satanas

IIRC it's been posted here that the SRAM Flat Top chain will work with an Ekar cassette, so no reason the matching SRAM AXS chainring(s), shouldn't work too, and then there's the Ratio shifter conversion parts and rings as well...

tarmackev

by tarmackev

kgcx wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:06 am
Ratio technology makes a kit to allow Sram 11 speed mechanical to be able to shift 12 and 13 speed groupsets. That would give you a cheaper way to use 12-13 speed wide range cassettes, or just get an e-thirteen 9-42/46 11 speed cassette.
I'm running this on a 44 chainring, love it.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

tarmackev wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:27 am
kgcx wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:06 am
I'm running this on a 44 chainring, love it. SRAM Force 1 x. 9-42 Ali Express cassette.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

prokyon wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:26 am
yinzerniner wrote:

I had the Garmin Rally pedals - clip mechanism folded in half over onto itself with a single rock strike, plus the pedals kept malfunctioning and disconnecting from my computer the whole time - piece of crap. I spent 2 years bashing my Shimano XT pedals on all sorts of rocks - they look like they went through a war zone and work perfectly fine - Garmin ones are made of super soft alloy.

There is a mod to get Favero road pedals to work with SPD body, but the PM part of the pedal sticks out past the crank arm - will break that on a rock for sure. X-Power are the only pedals on the market I will consider. I also like the SQLab longer spindle pedals to get a better bike fit, so... would rather just get PM cranks and anything by Rotor is just too darn expensive.

I think the most sane way out of this is a SRAM Rival AXS groupset with cranks, cassette and chain from Force AXS (XPLR cassette and deraileur): $400 cheaper than all-Force gorupo, 43g heavier and Rival brakes and hoods are a newer design too - plenty of FC options too for various gearings... plus Force PM is great I hear. Had issus with my Power2Max PM also.
Why not go for GX AXS and a GX cassette with Rival Shifters? Loads cheapers than Force XPLR

Marin

by Marin

Sram Apex/Rival/Force 1 (or 11x MTB) derailleur, Ztto/Sroad/etc 9-46 machined cassette works perfectly. Mega range.

Use a KCNC offset upper pulley for even better shifting

prokyon

by prokyon

satanas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:27 am
IIRC it's been posted here that the SRAM Flat Top chain will work with an Ekar cassette, so no reason the matching SRAM AXS chainring(s), shouldn't work too, and then there's the Ratio shifter conversion parts and rings as well...
So basically just get the EKar groupset and replace the crankset with the SRAM Force crankset with DUB power meter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com