Frame painting on a steel cross bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vanitypl

by vanitypl

I've got an old steel cx bike that I'm looking to use a bit more this coming season, but the paint job is a little bland and I'd like to touch it up a bit. Most of the frame painting info/questions I've seen online are about completely repainting the frame, but I'm not looking to strip the current paintjob, I just want to add little spice to the existing design by outlining logos and maybe introducing a new highlight colour.

What would be the best way to go about this and how could I make sure the touch-ups would survive multiple seasons of gravel and cx?
I'm not really interested in going to a professional as this is more of a fun project for me to kill time over the winter, more so wondering which paint/treatment combo would be the best for longevity in adverse conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Maybe go with something simple to begin with, like spray.bike. As always the prep will be the biggest thing, as you'll want whatever surface you paint to be sanded / we sanded down as smooth as possible and primed to accept the paint.

I've seen some decent results with their offerings.
https://spraybike.us/