Enve foundation 45 as gravel wheels?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frimez

by Frimez

Hey,

as stated in the title, i wonder if the enve foundation 45 are suitable for use on gravel (40mm tires). I still have these wheels in reserve and would like to know if it might be a better idea to sell them and buy more gravel specific wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Foundation 45 should be fine with 40mm tires. Any wheel with an inner diameter of greater than about 18mm should be fine with that size tire, but generally for optimal shoulder support and tire shape you'd be looking at around 23-25mm ID, which I believe the Enves have.

Just make sure to use tires rated for hookless tubeless.

itsallimaginary

by itsallimaginary

I have been recently using the Elitewheels Drive G45, same depth. The wheelset is gravel specific and is only 1300 grams for the pair. I believe the inner rim with is 24mm which would be more appropriate for wider, gravel tires. Recommended.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

I have used Foundation 65's on gravel quite a bit. They aren't as wide as some gravel wheels but they will have no problem holding up.

nismosr

by nismosr

not Enve but I've put about 600 miles on my 303s from pure gravel to single track trails and they are holding up prett good. mounted on are the Schwalbe G-One RS 40mm in tubeless set up. and you can have them for less than $900 right now.

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante