Winspace Grapid?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Broady

by Broady

Fairly new to this whole gravel thing. I've got a Giant Revolt Advanced 1 on the way which looks great but it looks like the wheels are the one thing holding it back a bit at around 2kg so I've been debating a bit of an upgrade.

Zipp 303 FC look perfect - 25mm Internal, 1350g, hookless but they're £1600 give or take. I did see the aforementioned Winspace Grapids (https://www.winspace.cc/lun-grapid-700- ... elset.html) on my research journey, 1400g, 25mm Internal but not hookless and only $850 shipped.

Anyone have any experience with the Grapids? Maybe the Lightbicycle Falcon Pro could be an option also?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgcx

by kgcx

I own a pair of the Grapids, they have been a great wheelset for me so far. Probably have around 3,000 miles on them, no issues with bearings or spokes. Ridden everything from road tires, to wide gravel tires on really rough washboard, to muddy cyclocross races on these wheels. They are also sealed, so no need for tubeless rim tape so that was a plus.

Would I buy them again, probably not. I recently bought a pair of Farsports gravel wheels that have the same internal width and they are much lighter for about the same price and you get to customize the wheels in terms of depth/hubs. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either wheelset just be prepared to wait at least a month for them to show up from China.

Broady

by Broady

Cheers, I'll look into Farsports.

kgcx

by kgcx

Just make sure you go to wheelsfar.com for the more customizable options.

motorapido

by motorapido

Grapids spec looks very similar to Token Roubx which in the uk can be bought for £649 at Merlin, 33 high rim 25mm internal 31mm external. https://www.tokenproducts.com/wheels/ro ... 20-roubx-2 although the weight is higher at 1500, which matches in with the weight of my set as supplied with tubeless tape installed but no valves.

voicycle

by voicycle

Light Bicycle have more depth options than Farsports for the 25mm internal width (WR series). I've had 45's for about 18 months as my gravel wheels and love them. Subsequently got a set of 50s as endurance road wheels since they mate well with a 28mm GP5000 (31mm WAM) - they're great too, but are one of the depths which come only in premium finish options (paintless) and I've scratched them nearly to the carbon just putting them in the car a bit carelessly, so I definitely wouldn't use them for gravel (my 45s have all kinds of nicks in the paint from rock strikes but nothing concerning).

If I was buying again today though, I'd seriously consider Nextie for their 40/45 gravel rim - I read about it on this forum and seriously considered replacing my LB set. Requires a narrower tyre to ensure proper WAM, but will actually make an aero profile at 40mm wide.

Broady

by Broady

Cheers again, will look into these recommendations!

kgcx

by kgcx

Update on Grapid ownership, I can no longer recommend these wheels. Destroyed the wheelset during a cross race last weekend where there was a small jump to flat. The filament inside the rim has completely come apart and sounds like sand inside the rim. I am also not that heavy, 145 lbs so they will not last if you plan to do any hard riding.

CasualRider

by CasualRider

Get the Zipp, crash replacement is hard to beat and great customer service. I have it on my gravel bike and haven't had any issues. It's definitely better for gravel that road.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgcx

by kgcx

I will say that I rode my farsports on the same course and they were perfectly fine, but I am now seeing the benefit to a no question crash replacement. Cross is just hard on wheels with the low tire pressure and non ideal conditions.