Wickwerks chainrings

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

psi

by psi

Anyone have experience with these? They seemed to come out 10 years ago and gained some traction in the cross community with Katie Compton using them. However they haven't seemed to get a lot of attention recently.

The idea is appealing, faster 2x shifting. I already greatly prefer the 46-36 double as compared to a road compact for the quicker front shifting.

I cannot see myself ever going 1x as my bike is fairly multipurpose. I have 3 wheelsets for it and with a couple different cassette types and a double crank I can cover a lot of different types of riding.

I found one review where someone claimed the ramps wore out in a matter of months. So the durability of the design is a question for me. However that was just one isolated report.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I have used WickWerks double chainrings on CX bikes in the past and currently we have 44/34 double rings paired with Shimano Dura Ace R9100P cranks on our gravel bikes and feel that the rings shift as well or better than the Shimano 46/36 rings that I have on my old CX bike. The only issue I had was fitment in that the inner ring contacts the pod on the backside of the drive side crank arm of the powermeter.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

psi

by psi

Thanks I found a set of them online for a bit cheaper so I may give them a go.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yupp, 44/34 on my gravel. Shifting is really good. For a 44 big you need an adapter though. Otherwise the FD won't fit.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

psi

by psi

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:54 pm
Yupp, 44/34 on my gravel. Shifting is really good. For a 44 big you need an adapter though. Otherwise the FD won't fit.
Why won't the FD fit? Is yours a braze-on?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

psi wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:34 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:54 pm
Why won't the FD fit? Is yours a braze-on?
To drop the FD lower
https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

allenpg

by allenpg

I'll add another recommendation to go with the above. I've used the 44/34 combo on my gravel bike the past couple of years and it's been flawless. I'm running Ultegra Di2 11-speed. I do use their adapter in the link above to get my FD lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com