AXS XPLR 1x chain drops

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Ok, so I've never really had perfect luck with keeping a chain on my Exploro, but recently, it's gotten real bad. Any time I go down a fast-ish descent on rough terrain, my chain drops. Doesn't matter what gear it's in, doesn't matter if I'm going fast or slow. I've never found any rhyme or reason to it other than being terrain that is a bit rough coupled with higher speeds while coasting. Always inboard.

Combination is a Praxis 1x 42T Wave Tech direct mount chainring combined with Rival AXS XPLR with a 10-44T cassette. Chain was sized per SRAM's 1x sizing guidance.

I did the Belgian Waffle Ride Kansas preview ride on Sunday (had about 40 miles) and I dropped my chain 5 times. With BWR coming up in two weeks, I need to get this sorted ASAP.

Should I swap the chainring for something else (are there any other chainrings that fit Praxis Zayante carbon DM cranks)?

Or should I try a 1x specific chainguide, like this: https://k-edge.com/shop/chain-catchers/cx-chain-guide/

Thoughts?
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

stalkersk

by stalkersk

I would suspect your chainring is not holding the chain as it is supposed to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jakebson

by jakebson

I have the same issue. I have a Wolftooth chainring on the way. I have heard a few other people using the new Praxis 12 speed rings were dropping their chain and a Wolftooth chianring took care of it. You probably already have, but make sure your b-screw adjustment is correct. On XPLR derailleurs it is measured while the chain is in the 2nd to largest cog instead of the largest cog like the road set up.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

jakebson wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:23 pm
I have the same issue. I have a Wolftooth chainring on the way. I have heard a few other people using the new Praxis 12 speed rings were dropping their chain and a Wolftooth chianring took care of it. You probably already have, but make sure your b-screw adjustment is correct. On XPLR derailleurs it is measured while the chain is in the 2nd to largest cog instead of the largest cog like the road set up.
I just ordered a Wolf Tooth chainring. And I'll verify the b-screw as well.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 pm
Combination is a Praxis 1x 42T Wave Tech direct mount chainring combined with Rival AXS XPLR with a 10-44T cassette.
You sure you have the latest version of the chainring? Previous versions are not flattop compatible, due to the larger rollers on flattop chains. When my friend tried a flattop on his older Praxis 1x Wave Tech ring you could clearly see the chain did not fully engage. When he replaced it with the most recent version, it worked fine.

jakebson

by jakebson

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:18 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 pm
Combination is a Praxis 1x 42T Wave Tech direct mount chainring combined with Rival AXS XPLR with a 10-44T cassette.
You sure you have the latest version of the chainring? Previous versions are not flattop compatible, due to the larger rollers on flattop chains. When my friend tried a flattop on his older Praxis 1x Wave Tech ring you could clearly see the chain did not fully engage. When he replaced it with the most recent version, it worked fine.
My Praxis wave is the new updated version and it has definitely been problematic for me.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

When did they change it? I ordered the chainring in August of 2021.

emjayel

by emjayel

I also put XPLR on my Crux about 2 weeks ago and have been having issues with chain dropping. I am also running the Praxis chainring. Dropped it three times in my last race which caused me to DNF. A WolfTooth chainring is coming today.

I have read nothing but bad things about Praxis Wave tech chain rings and AXS so I am hoping this fixes it. I bought the Praxis ring in December 2021 from Power Meter City and did use it will 11 speed before. I did notice there are a few knicks and burrs on it as well.

Fingers crossed the WolfTooth takes care of things!

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Man, I'm glad I posted this. I didn't realize I'd see anyone else with the same issue.

I did reach out to Praxis for guidance. They said the Praxis ring just may not work for me and to try another brand. Seemed odd to me that they would push to get a different brand chainring, but maybe that's because it's a known issue.

hwyix

by hwyix

Are you using the plastic chain guied that goes on top of the chainring? Seems to help my Blur.

stalkersk

by stalkersk

You really don't need chainguide with xplr, nor standard road AXS derailleur, it holds chain perfectly

robertbb

by robertbb

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 am
Man, I'm glad I posted this. I didn't realize I'd see anyone else with the same issue.

I did reach out to Praxis for guidance. They said the Praxis ring just may not work for me and to try another brand. Seemed odd to me that they would push to get a different brand chainring, but maybe that's because it's a known issue.
Dead giveaway that they are aware of the problem. I'd be requesting a refund as it's evidence enough the product is not fit for purpose.

Mirco

by Mirco

Regarding Chain Drops, the Garbaruk Chainrings have longer teeth and a chain guide will also solve this problem.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Another vote for Wolftooth or Garbaruk - I have both and not dropped a chain with either and on some very rough terrain.
Keeping your chain clean and if possible waxed can also help reduce chain drops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emjayel

by emjayel

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:04 am
JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 am

Dead giveaway that they are aware of the problem. I'd be requesting a refund as it's evidence enough the product is not fit for purpose.
Agree. That's a crap response from them. I got my WolfTooth 40T chainring put on yesterday. I have CX practice tonight so we'll see how things go. Praxis sucks.