Converting to Flatbar Gravel Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Random one... it is Saturday evening...

I have 3T exploro which isn't being used as another gravel bike, Ti Sturdy, so have been thinking about what to do with the 3T. While I've tried to sell it, I've just got a bunch of silly offers, so planning on keeping... but suddenly thinking should I convert to flat bar gravel bike.

3T obviously have their boost in both drop and flat bar.... I know I may need to play with stem length (obviously changing shifters, brake levers etc..)

But what else should I think about etc.. (or have I had one too many beers)

req110

by req110

I was in Amsterdam last few days. As you understand, cycleways everywhere and more bikes than people... And i was thinking about "if i have to live here, what bike would i be using for commuting?"

Gravel Frameset + Flat Bars (but some extremely narrow) + 35mm semislick tires + fenders + maybe mount for a bag.... So if you are considering to use the bike as commuter, why not. But it's maybe too expensive, using 3T exploro for such purpose is overkill.

Otherwise gravel frameset with flatbar is not for racing, not for training, so only commute in my opinion.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daneincph

by Daneincph

I have converted a Giant Revolt 0 to 1X and flatbar for city riding/commute. Changed to a 30mm longer stem and flipped it up to get a suitable position for city riding.
Using Shimano SL-RS700 shifter and BL-SL600 brake levers with with original GRX 11 speed rear derailleur and calibers.
Works very well as a city commuter with 42mm Schwalbe Marathon tires and SKS mudguards.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Daneincph wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 pm
I have converted a Giant Revolt 0 to 1X and flatbar for city riding/commute. Changed to a 30mm longer stem and flipped it up to get a suitable position for city riding.
Using Shimano SL-RS700 shifter and BL-SL600 brake levers with with original GRX 11 speed rear derailleur and calibers.
Works very well as a city commuter with 42mm Schwalbe Marathon tires and SKS mudguards.
Interesting you went longer stem, I was thinking I'd need to shortern....

Daneincph

by Daneincph

Comparing to holding on hoods, you loose about 70mm reach of the handlebar plus reach of shifters going from dropbar to flatbar. A flatbar is comparable with hands on the tops of a dropbar. So longer stem needed even you want a more upright position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Daneincph wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 pm
I did something very similar but just went with Shimano XT - far more options for wide cassettes than with the GRX rear derailleur.