2023 Factor Ostro Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Michenfelder

by Michenfelder

This is the bike I've been waiting for:

-Threaded BB
- ~900g
- Fully Integrated
- Clearance for 42's

I'm currently riding a SL7 Tarmac and a Moots gravel bike and I'd really like to go to one bike and I think this is a frame that could do that and not leave me disappointed. I've seen Dylan's bike in person and it is very well done. The aerobar integration is CLEAN.

The fact that I can do a group ride on the road Tuesday, the local TT on Thursday, and then a gravel race on Saturday all on the same bike makes it very appealing. Two wheelsets and one bike sounds great to me! I'm also digging the fact that they are making the bar/stem combo in every size you want - 38/140, yes please!

Look forward to getting my hands on one and building it up proper.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Damn. My ideal frame but not sure I want to drop 5k on one.
It's a lovely thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I echo the sentiments above. Now if it also had the mudguard mounts (it is fairly understandable why it doesn't), it would be like 105% of ideal.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:49 am
I echo the sentiments above. Now if it also had the mudguard mounts (it is fairly understandable why it doesn't), it would be like 105% of ideal.
I'd be really interested to see how aero this thing is vs a "real" road bike.
I'm already mentally looking though my bikes to see what can go 🥹

robeambro

by robeambro

Upon launch, it was reported that a frameset would be 4.6k GBP, now the frame can be purchased for 5.2k on Vires Velo, the only authorised UK retailer. What the heck..

RDY

by RDY

robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:31 pm
Upon launch, it was reported that a frameset would be 4.6k GBP, now the frame can be purchased for 5.2k on Vires Velo, the only authorised UK retailer. What the heck..
GBP has fallen like a stone in the past month (and year generally). It's still overvalued. The bike's UK price will probably increase a similar amount by the end of the year, since £ will likely hit parity with the $, and price increases are usually greater than the devaluation.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

I found some in Germany but at 5,795 euro for the frame set.

sigma

by sigma

So speaking with Factor about builds, it appears the largest chainring allowing for clearance is 46T. So the Cycling Tips article where it referenced the 52/36 DA chainring seems incorrect at least from what I have learned so far. That changes some of the intended use case for me, so I am pausing to think about it a little.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Michenfelder

by Michenfelder

I do not believe this is true. It may be a 46T max for a single ring but for a double crank it should be a 52T outer. I have seen Dylan's bike and I'm 99% sure he is running 36/52 ultegra rings on a Quarq spider...

sigma

by sigma

Michenfelder wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 pm
I do not believe this is true. It may be a 46T max for a single ring but for a double crank it should be a 52T outer. I have seen Dylan's bike and I'm 99% sure he is running 36/52 ultegra rings on a Quarq spider...
FWIW I agree with you. I specifically asked whether I could do a DA build and was told they are only using SRAM for this reason. I am going to wait to get confirmation though. I was planning to run a Rotor Crank with 50/34 and something a little bigger in the back as my current LS is running 10-42 in the back with 46/30 (overkill) in the front for the very technical gravel rides I do out here in the Rockies.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

It's interesting that Shrive, their engineer from Cervelo, mentions in the LS review that there is almost no condition in which aero has benefits for a gravel frame once wider tires are used. Since the LS is half the price, the same weight or less, has the option of mechanical drivetrain, about the same tire capacity, and would be a lot easier to travel with without the integrated bar, it's starting to make it look like the much better value option to me especially with stack/reach figures that work well.

RDY

by RDY

It's not worthless, but it's not going to make much difference unless they push frame infill to near the new UCI limits (new Fuji Jari does at the front end). But what the Ostro Gravel does over the LS in terms of aero will be pretty useless with big tires. It's a marketing / price boundary pushing exercise.

Much better way of optimizing for aero on gravel.

1) People run bars which are way too wide. Narrow them.
2) Wider rims (so there's less bulge at the tire / rim interface). Lot of 'pro' gravel racers were running hideous 18/19mm internal and 42-45mm tire setups last year, and some still do. More muffin top than a Walmart.
3) Deeper rims.
4) Long top tube bags / main triangle bags can make a huge difference. Though beware sidewinds with the latter.
5) Lower tread height / more closed tread pattern on the tire if you can get away with it.

sigma

by sigma

Michenfelder wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:44 pm
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=761 ... 5150181576

I count 52T on that outer ring...
I think the salesperson I am dealing with probably just got his facts mixed up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Michenfelder

by Michenfelder

I have ordered one. Not so much because of the aero benefits on gravel but because it will be one frame that can replace two bikes. It's fast enough to be a road bike and I can run the aerobars and do the local TT series. It'll be fantastic on gravel. Sounds like 45ish days till I get the frame. I'll do a full write up when I have it in hand.