Bebop pedal alternatives

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

recumbent

by recumbent

I have been using Bebop pedals almost exclusively since they first became available in 1996. I really like their combination of light weight, 20 degrees of free float, east of clipping in and out, elegant design, and the fact they work with SPD compatible recessed cleat shoes. Before going to Bebop pedals I was a Speedplay pedal user. Unfortunately VP Components stopped producing Bebop pedals in 2016. I only have one new pair of Bebop cleats left, one used pair of cleats on their way to me, and the cleats I'm currently using on my shoes.

Does anyone know of a good lightweight currently available pedal that has the features of Bebop pedals, particularly light weight, high float, and walkability? I haven't been able to find any now that Speedplay has been sold and the new owner discontinued the Frog which was the next best lightweight, walkable, high float pedal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

recumbent

by recumbent

The slightly used pair of Bebop pedals and cleats arrived today. So now I have enough Bebop cleats to last about 3 years at which time I'll have to switch to another pedal system. I'd order another pedal system to start getting experience with sooner if there is anything comparable to Bebops made today in terms of being a lightweight, recessed cleat system with lots of lateral free float.

satanas

by satanas

Sigh. I always wanted to try Bebops but they never made it here to Oz, so I've never seen a pair. I have a similar cleat problem with both Frog and Syzr pedals courtesy of Wahoo, whom I'm now boycotting permanently.

It seems the floatiest MTB pedals actually available are either Time or Crank Bros, neither of which I've had much time with. However, by far the most common are SPDs and clones thereof, and the Shimano pedals are reliable and cleats are cheap and easy to get. However, I've tried them twice (albeit not recently) and was not impressed.

There was an interesting startup pedal on IIRC Kickstarter or Indiegogo a year or two ago called Titanum, but I'm not sure any made it to production. :-(

EdWiser

by EdWiser

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... e-inspired

Sadly with so many people using Shimano pedals. It has cut back on innovation in new petal design.

jwaal

by jwaal

I was an early adopter of the Beebop pedals but had terrible luck with the cleats or the pedals breaking on every set I owned. I'm not a big person and was using them for road and mountain biking. The Canadian distributor who was sponsoring me at the time stopped bringing them in. I ended up using higher end (not titanium) Eggbeaters for both road and mountain because I like a lot of float. I've had excellent luck with that system.