WW Gear Storage

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

So, being WeightWeenies, what are your WW hacks for carrying supplies on your ride? I've been using a Topeak saddle pack for years, but I recently finished a new bike build, and when I saw it, I was instantly turned off on how it looked. How do you carry your gear around? I recently saw a video of someone who cut a bottle in half and uses that as his gear storage, but that would take up one of my bottle cages, which isn't a great option, in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

I never weigh myself and since body weight doesn't count I just swallow tools and spares.

kervelo

by kervelo

For a while I had the Orucase saddle back on my Aspero, but have now moved to Camelbak Chase bike vest. Plenty of room for everything needed for the ride.

On the road everything is still packed in the jersey pockets.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I hate the looks of saddle bags, unless it is a bikepacking trip, so:

On short rides: jersey pockets.
On medium and long rides: Elite Byasi under the downtube.
On long bikepacking trips when I need to cook: frame pack (as fuel bottle needs to go under the downtube).

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I've always made sure that my gravel bikes have three bottle cages so that I can use a tool bottle, usually located under the downtube as it's good to have that weight as low as possible and near the BB.

req110

by req110

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am
I hate the looks of saddle bags
Spares are not aestethically pleasing anywhere, but i consider overloaded pockets on jersey much worse, than decent saddle bag.

If somene is able to put spares to small wallet size package to his jersey, and avoid any rotational movement of the jersey, i am fine with that... But most of the times i see cyclists with overloaded pockets and consider it hilarious.

Myself, i need as flat pockets of my jersey as possible, only phone, keys, 1-2 bars, pepper spray.

One of rules by velominati, which is completely non sense.

Elite Byiasi, or Specialized Keg or whatever tool bottle is fine, but you have only one bidon remaning, so i am using that only for shorter rides.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

jayjay

by jayjay

I tried one of these storage bottles once, it made way too much noise for my taste

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Some good ideas out there. On the road, I always ride with a tool kit in my center pocket, but I've always ridden with a saddle pack on gravel. An interesting option (in my opinion) is the Silca Mattone Grande. Anyone have it? Any opinions? My wife has the regular Mattone, which looks nive and tight under her saddle. Not sure how the Grande would look however.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

jayjay wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:15 pm
I tried one of these storage bottles once, it made way too much noise for my taste
I pop my cheap packable waterproof in mine, means that there's no rattling and I've got a waterproof in case it rains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com