Handlebar choice — Easton/Roval/3T/??

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Hi all,
Currently planning a build for a Crux frameset and am debating what handlebars to get (I know, it's a hugely personal thing and a complete pandora's box). I've narrowed it down to three bars (I think) and would be interested to hear whether anyone has any thoughts on them as reviews are far and few between:

Easton EC90AX 212g 16* Flare 80mm Reach 125mm Drop Ergo Top-section
Roval Terra 200g 12* Flare 70mm Reach 103mm Drop Egg shape Top-section
3T Aeroghiaia 232g Multi Flare 78-89mm Reach 110mm Drop Large Top-section

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

I started with the Roval Terras on my Crux and switched out to the Easton. I really liked the Terras, but switched to the Eastons and am very happy with the switch. I originally wanted to "match" the Crux frame and was wanting a really low weight bar for the build (FYI, the Terras came in under the claimed weight, the Eastons a few grams over). I found that I really liked a little more flare to my bars and was willing to sacrifice the additional weight, within reason, to get that. The tops on the Easton are also a little more substantial than on the Terra, which probably also adds to the weight. I also liked the additional drop on the Eastons so I could be a little more aero in the drops-the shallowness of the Terra drop was harder to adapt to from my road bike bars and I would bend my elbows more to get lower. I did not seem notice the extra reach on the Eastons and maintained the same stem length.

If weight is your first priority, the Terras are still a great bar if you can live with/prefer little flare and a low drop. Like you stated, bars are very personal.

renoracing

by renoracing

A large factor for me when deciding which bar I want to run, is whether or not I want to run the hoses/wires/cables inside the bar, or external to the bar. I believe the Roval Terra is setup for external routing(meaning you're taping the hoses to the front portion of the bar), while the other two are setup for internal routing. The tradeoff is a bit more work going internal, but more comfortable grip on the tops. If 3T offered any of their gravel bars in a 38cm width, I'd be giving them a try, so of those three you listed, they'd be my pick. Additionally, I like the idea of the upper portion of the drops remaining rather vertical.

rothwem

by rothwem

If you're using SRAM, I'd go with the 3T bar, otherwise your levers will point out way farther than your grips and it'll be pretty uncomfortable. Here's a pic of my SRAM shifters on a PRO Brand Flared bar:

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I use SRAM force 22 levers with a PRO discover carbon bar and my levers are in-line with the angle of the flare - I find they work really well together.
I previously had Easton EC70 AX bars but recently moved to the Pro discover carbon and I much prefer them.
This is very much personal preference but I like the shorter drop of the PRO and the back-sweep of the top is also very comfortable.
The wider flare of the PRO allowed me to drop down a size from 46cm Easton to 44cm in the PRO - better aerodynamics on the hoods but the same width drops for increased control on the technical sections.
Only downside to the Pro bars are that they're intended for internal routing really (I use them externally) so they have built sections for the cables to be routed into from the shifters, these look slightly awkward but not really a big deal.

rothwem

by rothwem

Nohands83 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:18 pm
I use SRAM force 22 levers with a PRO discover carbon bar and my levers are in-line with the angle of the flare - I find they work really well together.
I previously had Easton EC70 AX bars but recently moved to the Pro discover carbon and I much prefer them.
This is very much personal preference but I like the shorter drop of the PRO and the back-sweep of the top is also very comfortable.
The wider flare of the PRO allowed me to drop down a size from 46cm Easton to 44cm in the PRO - better aerodynamics on the hoods but the same width drops for increased control on the technical sections.
Only downside to the Pro bars are that they're intended for internal routing really (I use them externally) so they have built sections for the cables to be routed into from the shifters, these look slightly awkward but not really a big deal.
Waat? Can you post a pic? I couldn't figure out how to make them less annoying, I ended up ditching them for a regular set of Easton road bars.
Last edited by rothwem on Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

Nohands83 wrote:
I had the Terra bars...but the drop was next to nothing. It was an okay bar. Switched to an Easton EC70 AX bar which was a bit better, but ended up swapping that out to a Whisky No9 12F bar. I like the 12 degree flare on the Whiskey.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Nohands83

by Nohands83

rothwem wrote:
Nohands83 wrote:
Waat? Can you post a pic? I couldn't figure out how to make them less annoying, I ended up ditching them for a regular set or Easton road bars.
Picture 1 - sorry have to upload them separately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Nohands83 wrote:
rothwem wrote:
Nohands83 wrote:
Waat? Can you post a pic? I couldn't figure out how to make them less annoying, I ended up ditching them for a regular set or Easton road bars.
Picture 1 - sorry have to upload them separately

Picture 2 - you’re right it does look like there’s some lever overlap from the front (not as much as yours though). From the top (other pic) it’s in-line though. Shifters are angled in slightly to measure 430mm on the hoods.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

Nohands83 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:39 am

Picture 2 - you’re right it does look like there’s some lever overlap from the front (not as much as yours though). From the top (other pic) it’s in-line though. Shifters are angled in slightly to measure 430mm on the hoods.
Ah, okay. Yours did the same thing mine did. I didn't mind it on the hoods, but having to hyperextend my fingers to reach the tip of the lever in the drops was uncomfortable.