Gravel/ AR-Bike with Dura Ace?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Hi there,
After crashing my Aethos frame, I am contemplating a few different scenarios of what to do with the parts.
The first thing that came to mind was entering the assisted replacement program, and get a new Aethos frame. All the components on the Aethos seem relatively fine.
However, in my stables, the Aethos is clearly the most niche bike, that offers the least benefit over the others.

That, and the fact that I’m bored while confined to the couch, got me thinking:
I could also transfer the groupset (9200) to the Crux (currently SRAM Force Wide), and make it an all-road/ gravel bike.

Two things are currently holding me back on this:

after years of using SRAM AXS, the only negative I have experienced when switching to Shimano 12s is the low tension on the RD. The OSPW that is set to a lower tension is definitely part of the problem, but even smaller bumps in the road have the chain hits the chain stays.
I’d probably set the OSPW to the highest tension.
Nevertheless, I am a little worried that this might become a problem when riding over rougher terrain when shifting.
The gearing is 50/34 11-34. That’s great for road and all-road, but for gravel this can become a little tough.
I have laid an eye on the 11-36 that’s due to be released with the 105 Di2. A more immediate measure could be a sub compact 48/32 chainring combination. I have not found anything 12s specific there and most of the 11s ones are either non round, or not 110BCD 4-arm asymmetrical. Maybe I just haven’t looked close enough.
If you have experience with new 12s for off road or an idea where I can find said rings, I am happy to hear from you.
Praxis just informed me that their 48/32 rings are not compatible with the Quarq Spider PM.
The Absolute black ones are only oval...
Anything else?
Also, any other input is very welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd be slightly worried about chain retention given that it's a 2x system and there wouldn't be a clutch on the rear mech. Would be worth fitting a chain catcher just in case to save your nice Crux frame.

Any reason to not go for the oval chainrings? I like them personally.

Otherwise you could use a Rotor 12 speed 11-36 cassette, it's not cheap but will certainly be a lot lighter than a 105 one. No idea if they work well on a Shimano set up, would be worth contacting them about it:

https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/1 ... sette.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Having gone tried both road and GRX Shimano derailleurs off-road (mechanical in both cases though, I've only used Di2 on the road), I definitely wouldn't want to go back to anything without a clutch. And especially with a fancy frame like the Crux, I would worry too much every time the chain hits the seat stays.

Erwin

by Erwin

I think it depands how rough your gravel terrain will be. But I also prefer to have a clutch on the gravel bike. Regarding sub compact it is really hard to come by with the desire of a powermeter. I also have a Quarq BCD 110mm (4-hole and 5-hole), but it is not easy to source a good chain ring. TA X110 could be an option, especially the 4-bolt asymmetrical rings look good.
Other option would be the new Power2max spider for GRX rings. Then you could choose between 48/31 or 46/30. Rotor Aldhu Carbon cranks would fit too, so weight would be also not too bad (260g crank arms, 100g axle, 135g spider = about 500g for the powermeter w/o rings). But it is quite expensive (1000-1100 EUR/USD). You will also need the GRX front derailleur because of the greater chainline.
I was also thinking about getting the SRAM RED AXS powermeter rings with 46/33 for my Quarq D1 crank. But I can not find out if the flattop chainrings work with a Shimano 12spd chain (M8100 or M9100). Furtermore they are not changable and quite expensive. Just my thoughts.