Vitus Energie frame weight actuals moan / not sure what to do / real weight of CX frames?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Milese

by Milese

Hi,

I've just bought a Vitus Energie EVO frame in small, based on this doc that specs the frame weight for a small as 840g and fork at 450g and its turned up and I've weighed it as 1145g frame and 530g fork, having removed all the fittings and bolts, which is only less than 100g lighter than my alloy Giant TCX. Over a third heavier than quoted!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0365/ ... 1598443985

https://vitusbikes.com/collections/road ... uplicate-1

This bike does allow me to save a bit of weight in other areas, eg I can now fit a normal 27.2mm seat post, a 1 1/8" stem and light expander plug which will save nearly 200g, giving total savings of perhaps 300g, but thats only about half of the saving I was expecting.

I also gain thru axle instead of QR on the rear which should improve things a bit.

Does anyone have actual weights for other CX frames?

I bought this as an ex team frame from on large online retailer on ebay, and do have the option to return. Not sure what to do! :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Milese wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:54 pm
Hi,

I've just bought a Vitus Energie EVO frame in small, based on this doc that specs the frame weight for a small as 840g and fork at 450g and its turned up and I've weighed it as 1145g frame and 530g fork, having removed all the fittings and bolts, which is only less than 100g lighter than my alloy Giant TCX. Over a third heavier than quoted!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0365/ ... 1598443985

https://vitusbikes.com/collections/road ... uplicate-1

This bike does allow me to save a bit of weight in other areas, eg I can now fit a normal 27.2mm seat post, a 1 1/8" stem and light expander plug which will save nearly 200g, giving total savings of perhaps 300g, but thats only about half of the saving I was expecting.

I also gain thru axle instead of QR on the rear which should improve things a bit.

Does anyone have actual weights for other CX frames?

I bought this as an ex team frame from on large online retailer on ebay, and do have the option to return. Not sure what to do! :cry:
Seems like they must've added some super heavy paint, but 300g/80g seems pretty excessive. Did you document exactly what was on/mounted in the frame before weighing?

If that's just the bare frame weight without bolts, der hangers, seatpost wedge, stickers, BB et al then I'd be looking to return if possible.

Milese

by Milese

It is a black metallic with the purple fade painted over the top, so potentially double paint, that does looks quite thick from the chips etc.

Do you think that's the difference?

I still think it will build into a lovely bike! Shame I've got weigh everything!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Milese

by Milese

Pic of paint depthImage

Milese

by Milese

One moreImage

Sockman

by Sockman

This is literally the worlds biggest internet whinge ever. Build the damn bike and just ride it.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Sockman wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:33 pm
This is literally the worlds biggest internet whinge ever. Build the damn bike and just ride it.
...Do you not know where you are?

rjich

by rjich

Vitus frames are sold via wiggle in the UK at a great price. I haven't seen them be marketed as super lightweight at their conparitive pricepoint. I thought they were around 1100gm
Luckily the weight will have zero affect on riding but it's a bummer given the audience of the forum and the goals for light weight > most things.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Sockman wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:33 pm
I thought the OP was being pretty chill and restrained considering how much extra the frame weighed.
Be interested to see the bike now or find it what happened?
I feel bad for the OP, I'd be gutted as well and not sure exactly what the course of action would be.

Milese

by Milese

Thanks for replies.

I got the frame for a good price and am going to keep it. I contemplated stripping the paint off it (I loves a project) but I instead spent some time with fine wet and dry, some cutting compound and polish. Its come up nicely and I like the paint.

I've started building it but waiting on a few bits.

Got some purple Hope RX4's, J&L axles, superlight seatpost. I've also bought a Sram Force 1 crankset, but not sure what to do with the BB and cranks.

Frame currently has a 386 EVO BB shell and is currently fitted with the Sram DUB BB. I thought the Force crankset I bought was DUB but its GXP. I've also picked up a 386 evo to Shimano / 24mm BB cheap on ebay.

I had decided to go Force 1 with a 38T chainring to utilise the DUB as dont like the idea of crankset spacers, but now the Force 1 will need the spacers too I'm unsure whether I'd be better off putting my stages XTR crankset on from my MTB (and buying a cheap used XT M8000 for my MTB), and selling the Force 1.

Or I hold out for a Force 1 DUB to come up on ebay.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com