Supersix CX or Topstone carbon

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'm a Cannondale lover and I'm reducing the fleet of bikes down to just one bike for road, CX and gravel.
Trying to decide between the Topstone and Supersix CX.
I think the Supersix CX is the way I'll go but I thought I'd put it to weightweenies and see if there was much love for the Topstone?

I'm mainly hammering hard pack flat trails that you can do on 28mm road tyres with the occasional road ride and then a smattering of proper gravel races through the year.
I have a feeling the Topstone might be slightly overbuild for my needs and I am a weightweenie at heart.
The Force 1X seems about right.
If I could pick any bike it would have been the SuperX SE 1X that was around in 2018 and 2019. I loved that bike.
Just can't find them in a 56 in the UK on eBay or Marketplace.
I am open to other bikes up to £3000.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Supersix CX. Topstone is heavier and better suited to rougher stuff or bikepacking.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Love the SuperX; looks and geo. Plenty of tyre clearance also. The only challenge is the different wheel dishing - I assume you know that.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

DHG01 wrote:Love the SuperX; looks and geo. Plenty of tyre clearance also. The only challenge is the different wheel dishing - I assume you know that.
Yup, all good with the dishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I’ve gone with the Supersix Evo CX.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/ ... six-evo-cx

Should be here next week. Can’t wait to see how it is.
It’ll be my 4th SuperX, I’ve had the canti and disc versions. I’ve been really impressed with them.
I also had a Focus Mares carbon and Addict CX carbon, the SuperX was way better than these.

Got a second wheel set lined up and a few upgrades. The Hollowgram SL crank arms, carbon stem, saddle and bars.
Might ride it for a while stock and see how it feels.

TwC

by TwC

I've just finished building a Supersix Evo SE/CX from a frameset I Imported from the USA to the UK, exact same purpose as you on thinning out the stable.

(Waiting on new valves)

bet1216

by bet1216

I Cannondale fan also and currently have both a Topstone carbon (1st gen) and Supersix EVO CX (that I built out with GRX di2 2x set up). I also have a Supersix Evo (1st gen - on a trainer and the latest gen). You can't go wrong with either bike. Since you indicate you want bike to thin the stable out with and will ride on tarmac also, the SE/CX is a much better all rounder than the Topstone Carbon IMO. While the geometries are similar the SE/CX feels more road bike like (especially on the road) but with good stability for gravel. It feels lighter also. The SE/CX is can be built up much lighter than the first gen Topstone Carbon and you notice it. The Topstone Carbon is feels bulletproof though definitely has a plush ride. If you want a road bike/racer feel that works extremely well on gravel and hardback then the SE/CX is your bike...if you want a more solid off road focused bike that can still be ridden on the road then the Topstone Carbon is the bike.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

The only thing changed so far is the saddle, will be switching bars, stem, crank arms, wheels.
Surprised how aggressive it looks with my chosen position. Didn’t look that aggressive on my old SuperX.
First ride out is this morning.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

First ride.
I've raised the bars 10mm and dropped the saddle 5mm.
The big take away is the feeling of a much shorter wheel base. It's far more lively and overall seems very short, that being said after a few mins all bike feel like home.
You feel the power delivery to the back more on climbs but on long flats it doesnt feel any faster than 2012 SuperX.
As a bike i dont think performace wise its much better than any of the older SuperX's I had but the clearance is a big help.
If you have the last gen SuperX I wouldnt change to this.
My mind could be changed when i fit a perfromace wheel set to this bike.
It's definitely a very good bike but hasnt yet blown my mind. Will see how I feel after a few upgrades and few more miles.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

TwC wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 pm
I've just finished building a Supersix Evo SE/CX from a frameset I Imported from the USA to the UK, exact same purpose as you on thinning out the stable.

(Waiting on new valves)
I lived that frame! Imagine yours is the only one in the UK. Amazing build as well, a little out of my budget. I'm still deciding what wheels to use on the road. Thinking either Hunt or Ali Express.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com