Lightweight gravel shoes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobrayner

by bobrayner

What are the best genuinely-lightweight SPD shoes for gravel riding?

I have a pair of Fizik X3 Overcurve; they're very pretty but (a) the ventilation isn't great, and (b) the weight is more than advertised. I have a real-world weight of 420g per shoe (size 46), including cleats, but Sigma say they weigh 288g (size 42). I think that's a bit optimistic.

(When I put my shoes on the scale, they had a little dirt, but on the flipside I've also cut small holes in the toe to improve ventilation, and those two probably balance each other out)

There are several other gravel shoes out there which claim to be lighter than 420g each; but how many are actually lighter? I haven't found any shoes claiming to be 288g.
* Mavic Ultimate XC: Claimed 300g (size 42). Ventilation may not be ideal, but I have a drill.
* S-Works Vent EVO: Claimed 300g, not everybody loves Specialized, but these are definitely well ventilated.
* The Exos Evo claims to be 232g; people complain about fragile heel pulls, but I can live with that.
* Fizik Vento Ferox: Claimed 297g and they look... quirky?
* Shimano RX8: Claimed 314g
What other amazing options are missing from the list?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

ms6073

by ms6073

No experience, but the DMT KMO seem like they would fit the bill but sizing would be key due to the design.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Those look impressive. Thanks!
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I have tried Exos Evo in the last week. They are pretty impressive.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

kervelo

by kervelo

bobrayner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:21 pm
What are the best genuinely-lightweight SPD shoes for gravel riding?
The Shimano RX8 real weight is 572 g per pair. See https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Gravel-Shoe ... 0-bronze_4

It seems that the newer shoes (bronze colour) are 20 g lighter than the older ones (black).

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I only have experience of the Shimano RX8's and they're fantastic. It helps that Shimano shoes seem to fit my feet very well.

Volsung

by Volsung

RX8s are like walking on ice skates with no ankle support. Probably fine for riding but I rolled an ankle getting to my garage and returned them.

Mine were the wides and I think the sole is the same as the regular width, so regulars might be safer.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Volsung wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:27 pm
RX8s are like walking on ice skates with no ankle support. Probably fine for riding but I rolled an ankle getting to my garage and returned them.

Mine were the wides and I think the sole is the same as the regular width, so regulars might be safer.
Can't say I've had any issues when it comes to walking in my RX8's although mine are the regular width.

kervelo

by kervelo

Volsung wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:27 pm

I don't find them any more slippery than my other shoes with MTB sole.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4. I love mine. I haven't weighed them, but this road.cc review lists 292g. Not sure if that's their measurement or manufacturer claim. They feel light to me.

https://road.cc/content/review/270649-f ... p-x4-shoes
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

kervelo

by kervelo

Black friday 2022 offer: Shimano RX8 gravel shoes in silver and brown colours now 50€ at bike-discount.de.

henau212

by henau212

Got the Shimano RX8 and the Giro Empire VR90 here. While the RX8 is ok, the Empire is way ahead in comfort for me. They are not cheap, but I got a pair since 4 years and they are still perfectly fine (got some new laces a year ago, but otherwise...).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alolympic

by Alolympic

If you can get hold of the Mavic allroad pro shoes - I heartily recommend them, and they are nicely light.
If you are in the UK - Sportpursuit have them at half price.