What is the most advanced gravel bike do date?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

C36

by C36

wheelsONfire wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am
wheelsONfire wrote:I would probably lean towards
https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/roa ... on-lefty-1
10kg bike Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ofcourse a frameset with dual suspension carry more weight. The question wasn't for the most light gravel bike.
It won't help with comfort if the bike is lighter.
I used sarcasm exactly having this very bike in mind… what is the point to have a gravel bike able to do MTB?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

This is my idea of most advanced gravel bike; fast on the Road with 32/34mm tubular tires, quality shifting with Ekar 9-42 wireless (adding a 14th cog soon), good climber at only 18.5lbs, 120mm Rear/ 150mm Front full suspension, and both lockable. Can do gravel (level 101) and can do level hard, MTB if needed.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfRaJvaF ... MyMTA2M2Y=

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

:noidea: fastest way to end this thread and agree with andres..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

rjich

by rjich

The new BMC URS LT looks pretty high tech with its mini front shock.
I think there ia sometimes confusion with legacy road bike thinking (weight, aero) when dealing with this rougher stuff. But then the term gravel bike could be a racebike with 32c or a MTB with drop bars. So it's a toughie!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

rjich wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 am
The new BMC URS LT looks pretty high tech with its mini front shock.
I think there ia sometimes confusion with legacy road bike thinking (weight, aero) when dealing with this rougher stuff. But then the term gravel bike could be a racebike with 32c or a MTB with drop bars. So it's a toughie!
I agree on the front, it's really what i would pick to over a 30mm travel. But i don't like the geometry, that's why i didn't mention BMC.

The other guys seem to lean more to a gravel that is more in line with a road bike. I just don't feel that 40mm tires is the answer to the bumpy stuff.
I rode 650B and 50-52mm tires to, aswell as the Lauf fork. Lauf is both great and not so great. If you sprint, i feel it's at it's worst.
You also need to pedal more smooth not to trigger the front too much.

Finally, yes i see what you say in your opionions of a gravel is turning more towards a MTB. I kind of agree....
Just so happens that when i rode much gravel, i rode more and more rough stuff and a none damped bike was making me say just like you guys, i should have had a MTB. This is partly why i came to wish for something inbetween. A fat tire will not work as well as that damper BMC uses. While Laufs 30mm is a bit too much.
I wonder if Cannondales version is better... The downside is the weight which is not ideal.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

wheelsONfire wrote: I rode 650B and 50-52mm tires to, aswell as the Lauf fork. Lauf is both great and not so great. If you sprint, i feel it's at it's worst.
You also need to pedal more smooth not to trigger the front too much.

Finally, yes i see what you say in your opionions of a gravel is turning more towards a MTB. I kind of agree....
Just so happens that when i rode much gravel, i rode more and more rough stuff and a none damped bike was making me say just like you guys, i should have had a MTB. This is partly why i came to wish for something inbetween. A fat tire will not work as well as that damper BMC uses. While Laufs 30mm is a bit too much.
I think the best of both worlds is a fork that can lock at a dropped axle to crown distance. I’ve owned a DT Swiss XMM 100 for 26 wheels before (fits 28x38tires), that fork was amazing because it locks at about 70mm, perfect for the road, then goes for open 100mm if you hit the rough stuff. My current Dt Swiss EXC 150 26” locks at about 120mm, still excellent on the road, and only weighs 1560g.

I think they could make something a bit lighter these days between 1100g -1300g range and offer this type of dropped axle to crown features, the solution for gravel riding in my opinion.

Put this bike together about 4 years ago, showing the DT Swiss XMM 100 26” locked at a lower height.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Sharing my latest creation: 8770g, for now.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

So really, what you're saying, is that in your opinion the most advanced gravel bike is a fairly antiquated MTB?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

ghostinthemachine wrote:So really, what you're saying, is that in your opinion the most advanced gravel bike is a fairly antiquated MTB?
I guess it depends on individual priorities, my priority is 100% function over form. What is yours?

It’s a 2011 frameset, but I would say it’s got the form going on this build as well.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Oh, mines 100% function over form as well, so i was running a rigid carbon frame, double groupset and assorted ~40mm tires.

Nothing "advanced", that seems to defeat the purpose of gravel riding.

warthog101

by warthog101

I am not interested in doing single track on my gravelly either.
Dirt roads is where mine spends its' time.
Yeah 40mm tyres and set up similar in position to the roadie.
A bit higher at the bars is all.
Not wanting suspension at either end.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

😬 mine has been on plenty of single track... Slightly shorter and higher in reach/stack than my road bikes and slightly flared/shallow bars.
Big change from cinelli 66 😉

warthog101

by warthog101

Yeah a touch shorter reach also.
It came with 46cm bars. Hated them.
Put some Pro Discover med flare (12°) handlebars on.
40cm at the hoods and 45cm in the drops. Heaps better :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:02 am
All in all it depends what terrain we ride. I clearly see that some are totally for just addressing tires only.
I could easily be done with it if i had a fork with same solution as BMC's flagship. To be fair, i have already cracked two lower headset bearings so i guess my rides have been a bit to brute for a stiff fork.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

wheelsONfire wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:02 am
All in all it depends what terrain we ride. I clearly see that some are totally for just addressing tires only.
I could easily be done with it if i had a fork with same solution as BMC's flagship. To be fair, i have already cracked two lower headset bearings so i guess my rides have been a bit to brute for a stiff fork.
I would argue a gravel frame is also built stronger, presumably the head tube would be included in that.
Mine has a "d-fuse" seat post that does give some flex.
Put a zero setback version on which does appear to have reduced it a bit.
Can't do much set back personally so it's fine.
If I wanted to ride single-track I'd just take the MTB.
I don't, so a bike for gravel roads suits me.
Plenty here with gravel bikes and the local club has organised a few gravel races that have bought riders in from elsewhere too.
Gravel roads has been the order of the day.