Any alternatives to a Prevail II Vent helmet?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for a helmet which meets these criteria:
1. Well ventilated
2. Seriously, the helmet must have superb airflow; I'm planning some very sweaty summer rides
3. Lightweight
4. Aero (nice to have; but on technical gravel rides, aero isn't top priority)

The S-Works Prevail II Vent looks like a great solution to those problems. I'm not sure the Kask Valegro would be an improvement. But before I spend the money, can you experts suggest anything else better?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

Kav Portola. I have a Hexr that is less ventilated and I'd rather wear it than a super airy off the shelf helmet. Custom helmets are that good.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Prevail regular is very well ventilated and the vent is probably even better give its design. However two things of note (coming from someone who wears a Prevail II mips):
-it's made for narrow / long / egg shaped heads. If you have a rounder head it will fit weird
-fit is a bit larger for given size vs others. For some (like myself) this could work, but for others it might cause issues
-while the helmet might be aero the straps are def not - they attach nearer to the outer shell as opposed to the inner portion of the padding

If you're ok with the above it seems like a good choice, however the newest options from Giro and Poc are also great. I probably would've kept the Ventral Air if the fit on my narrow/long head was better as I liked the straps, look and ventilation just that but better than the Prevail, but the prevail shape is perfect for me.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Maybe Abus Airbreaker?
I’ve recently tried a lot of different helmets but in the end specialized fits my head the best.
Although I would’ve preferred a different manufacturer ventilation or style wise I chose fit …

And I think the abus straps perform well regarding aerodynamcics too.

toshi

by toshi

Bontrager Velocis. No one really talks about this helmet, but it's:

* Very light
* Aero-ish
* Awesome glasses dock in the front
* Great retention system

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Volsung wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:15 pm
Kav Portola. I have a Hexr that is less ventilated and I'd rather wear it than a super airy off the shelf helmet. Custom helmets are that good.
Looks interesting! How much do they weigh?
toshi wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:49 pm
Bontrager Velocis. No one really talks about this helmet, but it's:

* Very light
* Aero-ish
* Awesome glasses dock in the front
* Great retention system
Groovy. I read this review and was worried the cooling might not be perfect - do you ride with one? what's your verdict?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

Volsung

by Volsung

My Hexr is 334g, but it all depends on your head since they're made to fit your Mellon.

I'm an XL in every other brand to fit me front to back, then even the narrow ones are crazy wide and uncomfortable when cinched down.

markdjr

by markdjr

POC Ventral Air?

BrazAd

by BrazAd

I have a large head - definitely not narrow - and the Prevail II fits me better than anything else I’ve tried.

I had an accident in August 2020 that knocked me unconscious and cracked my Prevail helmet. I immediately bought a Prevail II to replace it.

The straps that tighten it up on your head started messing up recently after 250-300 rides. The LBS had a 20% off sale on helmets so I bought TWO Prevail II helmets - one for road rides and the other for dirt road rides, to extend the life.

Highly recommended!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveadore

by steveadore

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one: Has anyone used BOTH the regular (i.e. non-Mips) Prevail II and the Prevail II Vent (with Mips SL). I have (and really like) the Prevail II without Mips and I'm wondering if it makes any sense to buy the Prevail II Vent too as an alternative/backup (I use and rotate several helmets). Do they fit 100% the same? Or does the Mips pad set change the fit a bit?
Also, why on earth is the Vent version more than 20 g heavier (rather than lighter) than the old Prevail II? Or is that weight difference solely due to the Mips SL pad set? I see that the Prevail II with Mips SL is the same weight as the Vent (i.e. both are around 20 g heavier than the non-Mips Prevail II).
Lastly, has anyone tried to upgrade the non-Mips version with the Mips SL pad set? Spesh claims lack of compatibility, but looking at both side by side, they seem to have identical shapes and the velcro patches also seem to be in the same spots on the two versions

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

The 20g is probably from the MIPS SL pad set (which has the slip layer integrated into it) and the bulked up fitting loop/ratchet with the ANGI sensor mounting plate integrated into it.

I sold my ANGI sensor as soon as I received my Prevail II Mips as I already have that function on the Garmin.

Can't see why the pads can't be used, but the EPS foam shape is probably a bit different due to the MIPS SL pads being a bit thicker than the non Mips pads. So the helmet might fit a bit different, or the sweat drainage could be affected.

steveadore

by steveadore

yinzerniner wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:03 pm
The 20g is probably from the MIPS SL pad set (which has the slip layer integrated into it) and the bulked up fitting loop/ratchet with the ANGI sensor mounting plate integrated into it.

I sold my ANGI sensor as soon as I received my Prevail II Mips as I already have that function on the Garmin.

Can't see why the pads can't be used, but the EPS foam shape is probably a bit different due to the MIPS SL pads being a bit thicker than the non Mips pads. So the helmet might fit a bit different, or the sweat drainage could be affected.
Oh, I didn't realize the fitting loop was bulkier. That makes sense. I'm not quite sure about the EPS foam shape being different. I have tried it on and it felt a tiny bit narrower than my old Prevail II with the regular pads; not uncomfortably so, just a bit more snug even before tightening the ratchet.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

markdjr wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:07 am
POC Ventral Air?
Ventral Lite.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I've been on the hunt for something similar.
I'm in the UK, the Prevail is ridicously priced £275 (thanks Brexit) so that was out.
Was previously using an HJC ibex which on me is an absolute sweatbox.
Tried a Lazer Genesis, airflow is significantly better than my HJC but the fit doesn't work well for me - feels like it's sat on top of my head rather than round it. Also still get a bit of sweat on warmer days. And most importantly my hair pokes through the holes and it looks daft.
Did consider a Abus Airbreaker but not keen on the non-adjustable straps.
Have a Scott Centric being delivered today, looks very promising - reasonable price (£130), MIPS SL, quite light, scored well on very ventilation and decent on aero in a Tour mag test.
Will report back after a couple of rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Kask Valegro, fantastic air flow and very light.

I'll be buying another one when this one eventually dies. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/4736/ ... met-review