Gravel bike for gravel racing/fast gravel ride

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

robeambro wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:43 am
spartacus wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm
Why not look what peopl are using in the big gravel races?
Because a few years ago the top dogs in the big races would have used the bike they thought was the best, today they use the bike they are paid to ride. I don't think there's anyone at the top tier of gravel racing without any sort of sponsorship contract.
It kinda seems like almost anything light and stiff is a viable race bike TBH, as far as gravel goes. I would say finding whatever has the most suitable geometry is more important than any other factors that would impact your ability to go fast and not crash.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

Have you had a chance to try longer wheelbase gravel geometry? Not all roadies like it, and I think the handling geometry you want is mostly affected by personal preference. My perspective for dirt is that the cockpit should be both a bit shorter and a bit higher to handle well, but that is tempered by cx racing in addition to the gravel.

TiFan

by TiFan

I have a 2022 Addict Gravel 30 and I wanted exactly the same as you - essentially a fast, aggressive gravel bike but one that still feels like a fast road bike. So far it has been perfect. Light enough even with entry level GRX on it, only thing I have changed so far is the wheelset - I have one set of Hunt road wheels with either 30 or 35mm tyres and one set of Hunt gravel wheels with 40mm tyres and just swap them around depending on what I am doing on a particular day.
Weight wise its around 8.5kg with the Hunt 34 Aero Wide alloy wheels and 35mm road tyres but with potential to be much lighter with some choice upgrades. It really is a great all rounder.

On the geo, I came off a 56cm Supersix Evo and I would say the handling on the Addict is noticeably slower steering for the first ride or so but you soon get used to it. Its very fast but also super stable off road due to the longer chainstays. I believe they call it a 'quiver killer'.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I was looking at both the Grizl and Addict earlier in the year.
nded up with an Addict and I'm very happy with it - echo'ing the comments above.
I'm in the north of England so I ride quite a lot of trails (rather than gravel), the Grizl geo is actually pretty road orientated for a gravel bike - the Scott longer front end looked like it suited my needs better.
With 45mm Pirelli tyres it weighs 8.2kg in a 56.
As you've identified there's quite a lot of variance in gravel geo but that's because it means a lot of different things to different people, so choose geo that reflects where you will actually ride it.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Aero makes me think of the 3T Exploro RaceMax, and fast makes me think of the Factor LS.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Gary71

by Gary71

It might be out of your budget (?), but have you thought about Factor LS. I am hoping it is exactly like you are wanting as I too want the same; and have a bike frame on order...... Due for delivery next week.

https://youtu.be/YNpw5WK_ZJ4

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Came in to say 3T Exploro, but it seems like you've already ruled that out. I'll be using my Exploro for Unbound this weekend. I have a 100mm -17 stem and 40cm aero handlebars on it for that long and low race position. Also used it at BWR Kansas.

I can take a look around at those racing this weekend and report back.

Edit: I also like the Factor LS and Canyon Grail. The Grail is really popular with some of the fast gravel racers around me.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

spartacus

by spartacus

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:08 pm
Came in to say 3T Exploro, but it seems like you've already ruled that out. I'll be using my Exploro for Unbound this weekend. I have a 100mm -17 stem and 40cm aero handlebars on it for that long and low race position. Also used it at BWR Kansas.

I can take a look around at those racing this weekend and report back.

Edit: I also like the Factor LS and Canyon Grail. The Grail is really popular with some of the fast gravel racers around me.
The grail is popular because it's cheaper than other bikes since it's a canyon. It's not like it's better than other bikes IMO, and the handlebars are shameful.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

spartacus wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:21 pm
The grail is popular because it's cheaper than other bikes since it's a canyon. It's not like it's better than other bikes IMO, and the handlebars are shameful.
Just reporting on what I see a lot of fast gravel people around me using. If I'm honest though, I see more titanium bikes than anything on gravel.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I had very similar dillema recently. A thing to remember is that a more upright position in gravel is not neccssarily a bad thing, and that you can make most of the frames work by using no spacers and -12 or -17 degrees stem. So don't sweat too much over the stack if you like the looks of a particular bike. I would pay more attention into headtube angle, as this will affect handling.

For carbon frames you may look into Rose Backroad, that should fit well in the price/performance criterium.

And to put something very different on the table - take a look at Fairlight Secan - great frame with very well thought-out geometry and details. And that one kilo more can be usually saved somewhere else.
DrimeOser wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:51 pm
forgive me, as a German, for my disliking of Canyon and Cube. I think of them as the ultimate crowd pleasers: every detail right in the middle of the road with highly competetive pricing of course. Terribly boring bikes – in my extremely underqualified opinion.
This is very true, and Rose also fits somewhere there ;) Still if someone is hapopy to drive an Opel/Volkswagen instead of a Maserati, they are perfectly fine ;)

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

gorkypl wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:52 am
And to put something very different on the table - take a look at Fairlight Secan - great frame with very well thought-out geometry and details. And that one kilo more can be usually saved somewhere else.
I have a Fairlight Secan and I love it, I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Great geometry as mentioned and a beautiful ride quality. The additional weight of the steel frame doesn't matter so much off road IMO and you have the bonus of the additional durability over a carbon gravel bike.

woodzyz

by woodzyz

How about a wheelset with 45mm depth and 1.3kg light would work? i am using their other model wheel but this one is very good for gravel speed racing.
https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/dr ... isc-brake/

NordicSal

by NordicSal

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:51 pm
Hey Rough,
forgive me, as a German, for my disliking of Canyon and Cube. I think of them as the ultimate crowd pleasers: every detail right in the middle of the road with highly competetive pricing of course. Terribly boring bikes – in my extremely underqualified opinion.

If you want a fast gravel bike, have a look at the Cannondale SuperX used. Ted King raced it with great success on the Dirty Kanza for years. The CaadX shares the same geo and also sports about 40mm of tire clearance and can be had for well under 2000 almost everywhere.

Also, a used Basso Palta might at least in good ol' Europe be a viable option.
Idk we're taking gravel bikes, Canyon has one of the most radical designs.

engsohere

by engsohere

jemima wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 pm
2022 Rondo Ruut Al 1. 700x45. 1x.

Large is a little tall, but you could fit a slammed stem+minimal spacers to suit.
Hi Axle position:-
582mm stack. 400mm reach.
74mm bbdrop.
72.3hta.
420mm chainstay.

Mentioning where you live would help with suggestions.
You may have to ship the bike from elsewhere in Europe.
I'm seeing 2022 RUUT TI currently on sale for anywhere from $4,100 to $5,200 euros. The frame is 3AL-2.5V titanium same as the Lynskey GR300 frameset that's on sale for $1,500 usd. I can build my own GR300 with SRAM Force xplr axs for $1,200 plus $1,000 for a carbon wheelset. Total $4k for the complete build and it's higher spec than the Shimano GRX mechanical 11-speed and Hunt X-wide aluminum wheelset that comes with the RUUT TI. Is the RUUT TI quality of construction that much better than Lynskey or am I missing something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com