Cervelo R5CX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

perrierperrier

by perrierperrier

Does anyone here know anything about release dates or specs for the retail of the R5CX? I'm wondering if maybe someone who works at a LBS has spoken to a Cervelo rep or someone knows someone with any info. It looks like a wicked frame but the website only gives some highlights and "Summer 2022" as a release.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sulliesbrew

by Sulliesbrew

From what I got out of my LBS is that it will carry a GRX 810 build kit, price was around $5k, subject to current availability limits...
Pactimo Brand Ambassador, ask me about a Promo code

Karvalo

by Karvalo

In terms of major bike releases it's going to be their lowest volume, lowest priority. Wouldn't be too surprised if the as yet unannounced (officially) S5 and Soloist hit the shops before it does.

abonjour

by abonjour

Some specs, colours and prices are now on Cervelo's website, it's also (finally) on the UCI list from today's update. As for availability i've heard both 'within 2 weeks' to 'not until spring 2023' (UK based)...

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

5.5k for the frameset. Inflation is strong at Cervelo
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Insane, isn't it?

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

bikewithnoname wrote:
Wow. That's an insane amount of money for a something that will get repeatedly covered in mud/sand/grit and then get hosed down.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

In Canadian M0n3!s its a whopping $6,900 CAD for the frameset. To be fair it includes seatpost, bar, stem. But it is so expensive. My assumption the pricing is set so high to discourage people from buying it. It's virtually in line with the R5, Caledonia5, and Aspero5 in terms of frame design and manufacturing complexity. R5 framseset is $6,400 CAD, Caledonia5 frameset is $6,200 CAD, and Aspero5 is $5,525 CAD. These prices are nuts. The Caledonia5 was $6,050 MSRP when it came out. Remember when frames used to cost $3,500 :)

Lets compare to another big name with interal routing - Trek Boone. Frameset price $3,500 CAD. Hands down the better option. Can buy a whole second frameset vs the R5CX. SWorks Tarmac SL7 frameset is $7,200 for us Canadienne for reference too. Other internal routing CX machines are Cube, Ridley, and Stevens. Harder to finid in NA vs Euroland. There's also the Standert Alu CX frame with internal headset.

My gripe with the pricing on internal frames is that its not even that much more complicated. If anything it's slightly easier. No need for several ports along the frame. Toss in a bigger headset bearing up top, and a different tube on a fork and its done.

FX rate about 1.30 for reference. Dont forget our 13% sales tax for ON!!

Thatsbullshark

by Thatsbullshark

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:01 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:
Insane, isn't it?
Insane is right. $13K for the Sram Red bike. For that price WVA better personally deliver it to your door. I'll take 2 Boones and keep $5K in my pocket. I cant imagine racing CX on a bike that costs that much.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:31 am
In Canadian M0n3!s its a whopping $6,900 CAD for the frameset. To be fair it includes seatpost, bar, stem. But it is so expensive. My assumption the pricing is set so high to discourage people from buying it. It's virtually in line with the R5, Caledonia5, and Aspero5 in terms of frame design and manufacturing complexity. R5 framseset is $6,400 CAD, Caledonia5 frameset is $6,200 CAD, and Aspero5 is $5,525 CAD. These prices are nuts. The Caledonia5 was $6,050 MSRP when it came out.
First off, yeah - Cervelo really don't care about selling many of these and aren't forecasting numbers that even scratch the surface of what else they do.

Second though, I don't know about Canada but inflation is forecast to hit 18% over here this year. Just wait for the rest of those prices to go up and then compare.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Yeah, the price is completely insane, because even assuming that the frame is slightly better than cheaper alternatives (which is doubtful), there lots of other things to spend money on in cross that will give not so marginal gains, like a good collection of wheelsets with different tubulars glued on to be ready for every condition. And of course, a lot more beneficial than a super expensive bike is to have a pit bike, so for this purchase to make sense you would have to ideally buy two.

So probably the market for this is people who aren't going to race cross and will maybe use it for some easy gravel and not much else.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Tbh, everything about this bike makes me think they should have just named it "The WvA special" and been done with it, because they clearly aren't marketing it to any else

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Well, except the person who actually won a world championship on it. The Vos special would be more apt :wink:

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:47 pm
Well, except the person who actually won a world championship on it. The Vos special would be more apt :wink:
You know what, you are right. Straight up forgot. And actually, it looks like it fits her better too.

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

Anyone built one of these up yet!? interested to see what they're weighing in at as a complete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com