Fezzari Shafer Gravel Bike (who needs a Crux)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Finally finshed swapping out most of my parts for my large (58cm) Fezzari Shafer Rival AXS gravel bike.

Bike was at 7.43kg as it would be weighed by Specialized

Inital goal was to get it under the Crux Pro weight for less than the Crux Expert price. As it continued I thought maybe I could get under S-works weight for close to the Expert price.

Bike was at 7.43kg as it would be weighed by Specialized. With sealant, pedals, and 3 waterbottle cages it sits around 8kg.

Bike came in at 9.26kg

Swapped wheels to Farsports Gravel with Carbon-ti hubs and threw on some Ashima 160m rotors with ti bolts. Removed the FD mount and bike was at 8.23kg

Swapped the seatppost and saddle for an Elita One 400mm saddle and a Elita One 155 saddle and dropped it to 7.89kg

Last major change was I was going to use (and bought) an e13 xcx crank, but contrary to the website it is not compatible with Sram Flattop chains, so picked up an Easton EC90 crank with 40t ring.

Total list of parts replaced:

Wheels (Farpsorts)
Rotors w/ bolts (Ashima w/ Mt. Zoom)
Stem (Mt. Zoom)
Bar (Easton AX EC70)
Seatpost (Elita One)
Saddle (Elita One)
Crank w/ ring (Easton EC 90)
Axles (J&L)
Spacers (Mt. Zoom)

This next part is copied from another site so if it doesn't make complete sense:

Have the bike down to 7.43kg. So probably not going to get it to 7.25 like a s works crux, but it is close as the crux is in a 56cm form and this is a 58cm bike.

Interesting things to note:

Top cap threads onto the steerer expander so you need to replace the whole thing to use a different top cap. I am planning on putting my Garmin there.

If you are planning on retaping the bar, have fun. Took me a bit of time to untape it to the point I could slide the shifters off. Would probably take another 45 mins to remove all the taped pieces that are stuck to the bar depending on how well the goo gone worked.

Probably just going to swap the expander at some point and throw some Ti rotor bolts on and call it good.
Nothing I did was intense weight weenie, so cool to see that the weight can come down significantly without too much work or hassle.

Total cost into the bike is probably right around $5k including tax and shipping, which is too much for a fully rigid bike imo, but still $1k+ cheaper than the Crux Expert and only $800 more than the comp.

In case anyone cares here are some stock weights:

Shafer 58cm: 9.26kg out of the box
324g seat
294g post
Rival crank 170mm w/ 40t 688g
Axles 31/44g
Bar 42cm: 347g
Stem 80mm: 124g
Spacers 25mm: 24g

Overall a pretty easy refresh that creates a much more capable bike (4 water, top tube, fork, fender mounts) than the S works Crux and weighs about the same for much much less $$$

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Don't seem to be able to insert any images right now? :noidea:

hwyix

by hwyix

yourrealdad wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:13 pm
Don't seem to be able to insert any images right now? :noidea:
I had to use https://imgur.com/upload

rjich

by rjich

Great work there. I built a crux comp to a similar spec for that pricepoint, but it's v difficult to get the bikes now and as you say your frame has more mounting points. I look forward to seeing a pic once uploaded.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Lets see if this works

Nope, tried putting the imgur link in the images spot. No dice. And no attachement arrow at the bottom. I have asked a mod to help