Conti Terra Speed tire pressure dilemma.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Just finished a new gravel bike.
RIBBLE CGR SL with Rival AXS and Force combo and Zipp 303S and Continental Terra Speed 700x40 tires.
Bike came out great and looks great...

One area to be fixed though:

The other day I rode it for the first time and everything was great.
Irode it on the road using my LB AR56- wheels and Conti 5000 700x32 clinchers and latex tubes.

I rode at like 48/58 psi.

It felt a little harsh...

With the same wheels when on my road bike Canyon Ultimate CF SL
, everything feels great, super comfy and plush.

I understand that the gravel bike has a beefier fork, frame seatstays, etc.
But what do you guys think is gonna be a nice LOWER PRESSURE for my Conti Terra Speed, so it will feel more comfortable.

I was thinking like 32-33F and 35-36R.
I am 70-72 kg. and next weekend I have a gravel event,/around 90 km mixed 60-40% gravel/road.
but will not have the time to experiment on the road.

Can I go lower on the pressure, but still keep it fast for the tarmac.

P.S.From my only ride, probably it didn't help that I was sick/found out later/ and had a giant saddle sore, that was contributing to the overall feeling.

LMK, thx for your time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Your 32-33F and 35-36R seems about right, perhaps a touch high. I am at 68kg and usually run my Terra Speeds (I assume they are the 40mm) at 30/32 for a mostly gravel (90/10) course of loose over hard-your 60/40 mix and slightly higher weight probably warrant a little more pressure. The various pressure guides out there from Enve, SRAM, and Silca are also helpful to validate the pressures you are planning on. Good luck!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm running 30/30 at 57kg here. Anything over 30 the tire feels harsh. I keep the pressure the same F/R because you feel the bumps more on the rear so I elect to run R at the same pressure as the F.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

cycleboyco wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:17 pm
Your 32-33F and 35-36R seems about right, perhaps a touch high. I am at 68kg and usually run my Terra Speeds (I assume they are the 40mm) at 30/32 for a mostly gravel (90/10) course of loose over hard-your 60/40 mix and slightly higher weight probably warrant a little more pressure. The various pressure guides out there from Enve, SRAM, and Silca are also helpful to validate the pressures you are planning on. Good luck!
👍

andy4g63

by andy4g63

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:28 am
I'm running 30/30 at 57kg here. Anything over 30 the tire feels harsh. I keep the pressure the same F/R because you feel the bumps more on the rear so I elect to run R at the same pressure as the F.
Appreciate ylthe feedback guys.Thanks

rjich

by rjich

Yep I also found these a bit harsh at 40+psi. I run tubolito tubes and typically more on the road so I didn't drop further but could appreciate how you would have similar experience. I use s works Pathfinder pro now which feel more pleasant at 40psi or so

kervelo

by kervelo

The conti road tyres have always been quite sensitive to over pressure. Too much pressure and the tyres feel like they are made of wood, even with latex tubes. I am still in the process of finding the best pressure for my 5000 S TR 28 mm tyres, but at the moment it seems that it is somewhere between 0.1 to 0.2 bars less than the pressure recommendation from SRAM tyre pressure calculator that works great with Schwalbe Pro Ones. I suppose the same may be true with the conti gravel tyres too.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

kervelo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:47 am
The conti road tyres have always been quite sensitive to over pressure. Too much pressure and the tyres feel like they are made of wood, even with latex tubes. I am still in the process of finding the best pressure for my 5000 S TR 28 mm tyres, but at the moment it seems that it is somewhere between 0.1 to 0.2 bars less than the pressure recommendation from SRAM tyre pressure calculator that works great with Schwalbe Pro Ones. I suppose the same may be true with the conti gravel tyres too.
What you saying is true when applied to Conti road tires, but on my road bike Canyon Ultimate the 32mm clinchers I ride at around 48/58 feel great with latex tubes, when I put those tires on the gravel bike at 46/56, they seemed not harsh but sorta hard.

I guess the beefier frame and fork contribute to that feeling.

Meanwhile I did one ride on the gravel bike with Conti Terra Speed 40 mm @34/37 and they felt great.

Might even have to add a pound or two for the pavement

Woland

by Woland

Weight around 80kg and running Terra Speed 40mm @33/36 on Zipp 303s wheels. Feels comfortable enough to me yet not draggy or squishy/vague.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Woland

by Woland

kervelo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:47 am
I've been advocating low pressures for years and have run either latex or tubeless. I'm currently running the 5000S 28mm at pressures 0.2 to 0.3 bars lower than recommended by the SRAM calculator and still find the comfort a bit harsh. This is on hooked i21 wheels and I'm thinking of trying i23 wheels for even lower pressures. Would like to hear others' opinions and experiences with the Contis.