SRAM shifting issues

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

j_gantzer
in the industry

by j_gantzer

Rebuilt my gravel bike with the following set up-

Shifters- Rival AXS
RD- Rival AXS XPLR
Cassette- XTR 10-45
Chain- XTR M9100

No matter what I try there is a ton of noise & the chain jumping around in either the 12 tooth cog or the 45 tooth cog. I have tried an XT cassette, different Rival RD, GX AXS RD, checked hanger alignment, different crank/chainring, chain is installed correctly. And it makes very little difference. It's almost acting like a bent hanger.

The most frustrating part is on my monster cross bike I'm using the GX AXS RD, XTR 10-51 cassette/chain, and it works great.

Any ideas? This combination is fairly common & well regarded on the MTB side. The easiest solution may be to move to a sram cassette & chain, but it's driving me crazy because it should all work.

Thanks, JG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

j_gantzer wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:57 am
Rebuilt my gravel bike with the following set up-

Shifters- Rival AXS
RD- Rival AXS XPLR
Cassette- XTR 10-45
Chain- XTR M9100

No matter what I try there is a ton of noise & the chain jumping around in either the 12 tooth cog or the 45 tooth cog. I have tried an XT cassette, different Rival RD, GX AXS RD, checked hanger alignment, different crank/chainring, chain is installed correctly. And it makes very little difference. It's almost acting like a bent hanger.

The most frustrating part is on my monster cross bike I'm using the GX AXS RD, XTR 10-51 cassette/chain, and it works great.

Any ideas? This combination is fairly common & well regarded on the MTB side. The easiest solution may be to move to a sram cassette & chain, but it's driving me crazy because it should all work.

Thanks, JG
What's the chainstay lengths on your gravel bike and mtb? maybe the chain angle at both ends of the cassette is casuing the problem.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

I think you should check your rear wheel spacing. Are you using 142mm dropout and proper rear wheel?
Have you tested another wheel?

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Answered this on another forum but for sure this is due to the xtr chain not being compatible with the narrow wide upper pulley of the Roval axs xplr RD.

GX axs doesn't have the same pulley config so that's why it works correctly.