Gravel cassette and Ratio Technology

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

I'm running multiple different Ryet/Ztto, e13, 3t and Leonardi and Sram 9-x and 10-x 1x cassettes on DT, Hope, Bontrager, Funworks and Novatec hubs and have never had a similar issue if the cassette was correctly mounted.

2 hacks come to mind: Get the thinnest spacer that will let you mount the cassette without wobble (you can find these by disassmbling old cassettes) - or put a
thin 12mm washer on the right axle stub.

If the AXS cassette doesn't work proberly, something is off - find the specs and measure and you should be able to find it.

DoctorWeir

by DoctorWeir

Marin wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:22 am
I'm running multiple different Ryet/Ztto, e13, 3t and Leonardi and Sram 9-x and 10-x 1x cassettes on DT, Hope, Bontrager, Funworks and Novatec hubs and have never had a similar issue if the cassette was correctly mounted.

2 hacks come to mind: Get the thinnest spacer that will let you mount the cassette without wobble (you can find these by disassmbling old cassettes) - or put a
thin 12mm washer on the right axle stub.

If the AXS cassette doesn't work proberly, something is off - find the specs and measure and you should be able to find it.
I've never seen anything like it, and I've build with quite a few frames and groupsets over the years. I also considered a thinner spacer. Something around 1mm would theoretically be enough to provide adequate space. Basically 1.85mm spacer but sandpaper it down. I don't wish to play with hub spacing for the sake of rear wheel balance, albeit I don't think that would make such a big change.

I too am weirded out by AXS not fitting. Without the 1.85 space one would assume it would have an easier time fitting and yet it seems like it's even further out. Maybe the 9tooth from ZTTO MTB cassette actually sits further in due to its size? Even though I'm against the sheer gear spread of running 42x9-50 on a gravel bike, it so far seems like the simplest, cleanest and cheapest solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

maybe they make a mistake in the frame? Do you have to spread the frame to put the wheel in there?

DoctorWeir

by DoctorWeir

PoorCyclist wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 pm
maybe they make a mistake in the frame? Do you have to spread the frame to put the wheel in there?
No. I measured the dropouts with Vernier caliper and they come to 142.85mm. So if anything, they're 0.85mm too wide.

DoctorWeir

by DoctorWeir

UPDATE 3:
Frustrations aside I found a solution. After contacting Garbaruk and Yoeleo I ran out of ideas and figured I'd brute force this cassette to fit. The Ctrl+Alt+Delete kind of brute force. I took it off, cleaned everything, put the 1.85mm spacer in place and then put every ounce of power into the wrench when mounting it. Mounted in the frame there's maybe half a milimeter of space between the chain outerplate and the dropout. A risk I'm not taking should the chain get sucked into the frame in some final destination scene.

I let a few sighs into the aether and glanced at my Canyon Exceed sitting in the Garage, mounted with cheap NX shifter, chain and derailleur to a ZTTO 9-50 chinese masterclass of cassette cheapness to weight ratio and that damn thing just works. Ugly under power shifts, everything you throw at it. And then it hit me: The CHAIN! There's a distinct difference in the width of an 11s chain and a 12s chain. I just took the NX chain from the Canyon to Yoeleo, no shortening, measuring. Just as a joke. And to my shock, it shifts up, it shifts down and there's very little for me to complain in terms of shift precision.

So all it took was a quick drive to the store, X01 Eagle chain, clean, wax and on it goes. Problem solved.

Regarding the 11s to 12s upgrade being a waste of money however.. : I built the bike specifically as a sistem upgradable to 12speed. It's inspired among other things by Dangerholm's Scott Gravel build. I still purchased the 12s ratchet for eagle cassettes. Allowing expansion to the 9-50 range I have on my MTB. But I might not put it on this bike. Nothing wrong with a cheap Apex build for allround durability but with a little added funcionality ;)