NEW: Campagnolo Levante Gravel wheelset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

It's 8am Eastern so I can post this now...

The new product from Campagnolo today is the Levante Gravel wheelset. It's a true gravel derived wheel - 30mm deep with offset rims front and rear, 30.6mm OD / 25mm ID able to accommodate a 38 to 76mm tire! Two-Way Fit of course. And they are standard spoke design. So more user-friendly servicing. And many people do not like the 3G style lacing. So this gives riders an option. Also, the graphics are designed/styled like the ones for Ekar. Designed around the N3W freehub body, these can be used with Ekar or any 9, 10, 11, 12 Campy drivetrain. Shimano and XDr drivers will be available also.

Retail will be $1899.95 USD

Campagnolo WILL have a few pairs at Eroica CA for display this weekend. Shops will be able to start selling them today as Campy does have stock in the US. My first 6 pair are on the truck today.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=282032

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/cam ... ok-review/

But seriously, that's it. A gravel wheelset was all that was being unveiled. No 13 speed road. No wireless. No powermeter. A really nice gravel wheelset for people who wanted a more dedicated gravel wheel. I do wish they offered a 650b option, and the price was lower/flipped with Shamal Carbons. But it's a really nice wheel and fits what they have right now group wise and what was needed from them.

jlok

by jlok

How does it differentiate from the other gravel wheels?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

jlok wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:12 pm
How does it differentiate from the other gravel wheels?
Well Campy has never had a "Campagnolo Gravel" wheelset before. So these are new. Plus, the Shamal Carbon was designed as a more all-road wheel. These will accomodate a 38 - 76mm tire, has a 30.6mm OD/25mm ID and 30mm deep rim with offset front and rear rims. So more traditional which makes these more user friendly in terms of truing, maintaining and appearance. Which Campy hasn't done in many years- a non-3G spoke pattern. And many people don't like that look. Plus since the hubs and rims have been designed with a traditional spoke lacing, the spokes are fewer in terms of sizing/length.

These are different in many ways. The hubs, rims, even the graphics are designed around Ekar where the Shamal Carbons weren't.

jlok

by jlok

Thanks.

The rim surface / design is unique, at least supervisually. They look great!

Cup and cone bearings, if you like it that would be an advantage, but not really a deal breaker.

2x lacing, asymmetrical rim, par with other brands.

Weight, equal or better than the others.

I'd wait for the street price to compare with competitors.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Priced at $1,899.95 / £1,349.99

I was wanting a second set of wheels for my Ekar Diverge... dunno if I want to drop $2300 CDN on gravel wheels though.. might just get some Shamals instead...

kevinw

by kevinw

I really like them but wish they were deeper/aero.

morrisond

by morrisond

They are basically identical to Fulcrum Rapid Red Carbons. https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels ... RED-CARBON

I wish they had differentiated them by at least going 2:1 in the back - IMO it does make a wheel more responsive. I have Rapid Red 3 650B's and they are an awesome gravel wheel. Also the front wheel is holding up great even though I swapped out the front hub for a SON SL with 32 holes to maintain the 2:1 in the front as well - just skipped every other hole on the one side. :D

kevinw

by kevinw

morrisond wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:43 pm
They are basically identical to Fulcrum Rapid Red Carbons. https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels ... RED-CARBON

I wish they had differentiated them by at least going 2:1 in the back - IMO it does make a wheel more responsive. I have Rapid Red 3 650B's and they are an awesome gravel wheel. Also the front wheel is holding up great even though I swapped out the front hub for a SON SL with 32 holes to maintain the 2:1 in the front as well - just skipped every other hole on the one side. :D
Yep I have two sets set of fulcrum rapid red 3 in 650b and 700 and they are great proper gravel wheels - wanted a light/fast set to compliment them. I'm thinking zipp303s once they actually release a N3W hub.

jayjay

by jayjay

velocipedeimp wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:06 pm
30.6mm OD / 25mm ID able to accommodate a 38 to 76mm tire
How about narrower tires? Just not recommended or would that still be save?

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

jayjay wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:58 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:

I would try a 35 without hesitation but below that I wouldn't.

jayjay

by jayjay

velocipedeimp wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:37 pm
jayjay wrote:
velocipedeimp wrote:
I'm asking because Enve has this on their website for some wheel sets:
• Inner rim width: 25mm
• Recommended Tire Size: 27 - 32c

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

jayjay wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:47 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:
jayjay wrote:
velocipedeimp wrote:

But the Enve wheels are also hookless. The Levante wheels have a hook rim section. I wouldn't worry about a 35. Under that, say 32, i would have to try it and see. But a 35 shouldn't be an issue at all.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

One problem I see with narrow tyres on very wide rims for gravel is that the rim is very exposed to impacts, which would be a bit worrying with a fancy carbon wheelset like this one. So I would just go for a narrower rim for lighter gravel use that didn't require such big tyres.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

jayjay wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:47 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:
jayjay wrote:
velocipedeimp wrote:

28mm tires are fine on 25 internal... I've been using that for years. Yes on Enve
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinw

by kevinw

kevinw wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:21 pm
I'm thinking zipp303s once they actually release a N3W hub.
I don't think zipp are ever going to release their N3W hub..... so i've bought some Levante wheels and they are fantastic. Installing 38mm vittoria Terreno tyres was so easy - no tools requires and beads popped in with just a track pump. The mini-hook thing is interesting but seems to work as expected.

Still wish they were a little deeper - more for aethetics than anything.

There was a fair bit of hand-finishing on the internal seems which was surprising - most reviews indicated that they were blemish free - no functional or external visual problems though.