New GRX this year?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RDY

by RDY

DrimeOser wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:37 pm
RDY wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:23 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:16 am
Perhaps this is Shimano's response to Campy's Ekar?
I don't think Shimano give a shit what Campag do, and they won't, unless they begin mass producing more stuff in Taiwan or China.
Shimano produces a lot of mid level stuff in Malaysian and all the cheap stuff in China.

Well, I do think they give a shit. Remember Sram coming up with narrow wide chainrings, clutched derailleurs, 12-speed, 1 by drivetrains,vgravel specific groupsets, wide range cassettes...
Guess who adopted all of it a few years later.
a) your point being?

b) They don't give a shit what Campag do in groupsets because they have almost zero sales on a global level, when compared to Shimano and SRAM. Most of their revenue is wheels. They'll only care if they move more manufacturing to the Far East and mass produce stuff, or manage to do the same in Romania (unlikely). They care about FSA and Chinese upstarts far more because they're far more likely to scale than Campag look likely to at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:The longer MS freehub brings the possibility of a 1x13 drivetrain. Imagine a 12-speed HG+ MTB cassette with one added cog. Perhaps this is Shimano's response to Campy's Ekar? I wouldn't mind a 2x13 drivetrain as well for gravel. A 13-speed 2x cassette with the following ratios would be sweet for gravel: 10-11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-29-32-36
Why on earth would DT release an as yet unreleased by Shimano freehub pattern? Have you compared it to previous DT MS freehubs or are you assuming it’s new?

There is no reference to a different part number on DT’s site and bearing in mind Shimano’s reluctance to allow anyone to produce AM freehubs when MS came out, I doubt you are talking about a real change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The person who posted the pic. said the freehub is 1.85mm longer than the existing MS freehub. So yes, it's a new freehub that didn't previously exist. 'MSR' also stands for Micro Spline Road, which means the freehub has the standard road length and not the MTB 10-speed length.

When MS was first introduced, DT Swiss was the launch partner on the new freehub standard. So it would be logical to see DT Swiss be the launch partner for this new 'MSR' standard as well.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

ultimobici wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:The longer MS freehub brings the possibility of a 1x13 drivetrain. Imagine a 12-speed HG+ MTB cassette with one added cog. Perhaps this is Shimano's response to Campy's Ekar? I wouldn't mind a 2x13 drivetrain as well for gravel. A 13-speed 2x cassette with the following ratios would be sweet for gravel: 10-11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-29-32-36
Why on earth would DT release an as yet unreleased by Shimano freehub pattern? Have you compared it to previous DT MS freehubs or are you assuming it’s new?

There is no reference to a different part number on DT’s site and bearing in mind Shimano’s reluctance to allow anyone to produce AM freehubs when MS came out, I doubt you are talking about a real change.

Shop listing here:

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/brand ... ck-778143/

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Nice find! There are two versions- steel or ceramic bearings. The steel bearing version is in stock.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/brand ... ck-778145/

robertbb

by robertbb

Anyone find a non-EXP (i.e. old star ratchet) version of this for DT hubs?

ultimobici1

by ultimobici1

raisinberry777 wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

Shop listing here:

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/brand ... ck-778143/
Why would a shop noted for its comprehensive stock only stock a new unreleased freehub for DT wheels but not the existing one available from DT? Perhaps because the one that is 1.85mm longer isn’t what it’s been suggested it is?

henau212

by henau212

RDY wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Niekgeerts wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:27 am
What a mess ... now 4 different FHs for Shimano 12s. HG, weird DA-HG, MS, MSR ...

They've lost the plot.

Also amazed they let the cat out of the bag like that given how secretive Shimano tend to be and how restrictive they are with partners. Guessing another farce may ensue where it's only 3 or 4 brands that have access to the new design patent initially - per MS.

This is also likely a tacit admission that the HG 12s spacing is too cramped (maybe part of the reason why their 12s road cassettes suck), and MS spacing is still too cramped.
I am kind of puzzled by that mess as well. Is DT Swiss now sending their their road wheels with three different hubs in the box(hg, xdr, msr)? That is crazy. In that continues they will pull an apple and remove all adaptors from the box.

But question remains: Why is MSR showing up now of 12s GRX is rumored to be 2023/24?

robertbb

by robertbb

Well, 2023 is only a few months away and as I recall Campagnolo released N3W some months before eKar dropped...

I'd imagine Shimano's losing/lost some market share recently and would be keen to get the new GRX out sooner rather than later.

I'm quietly hoping there's a 13 speed 1x option and this freehub gives me hope.

henau212

by henau212

robertbb wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:09 am
Well, 2023 is only a few months away and as I recall Campagnolo released N3W some months before eKar dropped...

I'd imagine Shimano's losing/lost some market share recently and would be keen to get the new GRX out sooner rather than later.

I'm quietly hoping there's a 13 speed 1x option and this freehub gives me hope.
I would bet 13 speed is not going to happen this time around, EKAR is simply not their problem atm. Problems I see at the moment:
- no 12s MTB electronic groupset. SRAM is on full force here and the next iteration is already around the corner. Also SRAM is building an entire eco system around AXS.. People with a AXS dropper or fork are probalby not going to buy Shimano for their next drivetrain...
- no 12s Gravel groupset. SRAM is offering every option from 2x, 1x to Mullet. And also here, next gen RED/Force are probably not that far off.

I would love Shimano to introduce both 12s XTR (not just for e-bikes) and GRX next year and open up the possibilty for mullet builds. Oh and I hope there will also be a mechanical option. In the meantime I got a good deal on a Force XPLR groupset next to my 2x GRX Di2. Love both for different reasons 8)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:They don't give a shit what Campag do in groupsets because they have almost zero sales on a global level, when compared to Shimano and SRAM. Most of their revenue is wheels. They'll only care if they move more manufacturing to the Far East and mass produce stuff, or manage to do the same in Romania (unlikely). They care about FSA and Chinese upstarts far more because they're far more likely to scale than Campag look likely to at the moment.
Up until Campag introduced Ekar, you might have had a point.

With the next iterations of SR & Record likely to go 13 speed and also given Campag’s ability to offer mechanical shifting up to 13 speed, it’s something Shimano & Sram need to be mindful of.

Chorus 12 disc is significantly cheaper than 7100.

RDY

by RDY

@Niekgeerts has anyone in NL managed to glean more info either from DT or via the grapevine?

satanas

by satanas

Maybe the MSR freehub body exists so that switching between HG 11, XDR, Campag and MS doesn't screw up the OLN dimension. All the others are HG 8/9/10 + ~1.8mm, so this might just line up the same and simplify things. It also might imply that at some point GRX will have an MS option, presumably with at least 12 cogs.

That said, if 1x13 and 2x13 from Shimano happened nobody would complain.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

satanas wrote:Maybe the MSR freehub body exists so that switching between HG 11, XDR, Campag and MS doesn't screw up the OLN dimension. All the others are HG 8/9/10 + ~1.8mm, so this might just line up the same and simplify things. It also might imply that at some point GRX will have an MS option, presumably with at least 12 cogs.

That said, if 1x13 and 2x13 from Shimano happened nobody would complain.
It isn’t a new product, or at it isn’t until we have confirmation of the new part number. It’s been a week and all we have is crickets. My bet is it’s not what it’s been claimed to be.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:22 pm
RDY wrote:They don't give a shit what Campag do in groupsets because they have almost zero sales on a global level, when compared to Shimano and SRAM. Most of their revenue is wheels. They'll only care if they move more manufacturing to the Far East and mass produce stuff, or manage to do the same in Romania (unlikely). They care about FSA and Chinese upstarts far more because they're far more likely to scale than Campag look likely to at the moment.
Up until Campag introduced Ekar, you might have had a point.

With the next iterations of SR & Record likely to go 13 speed and also given Campag’s ability to offer mechanical shifting up to 13 speed, it’s something Shimano & Sram need to be mindful of.

Chorus 12 disc is significantly cheaper than 7100.

In the USA, Ekar has been a huge hit. I think it is the largest market for the groupset.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

ooo

by ooo

Y0RY98010 bracket covers for new ST-RX820
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com