New GRX this year?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:28 am
I have almost what I want by using XTR mechs & chainset with Dura Ace levers and an S-Road 10-36 cassette. 10 speed isn’t an option as I’m steady on 11 speed from another bike.
You could run that same cassette with a full GRX 11sp 2x setup. You don't need to be using any XTR as it is now.
Judging by Fairwheel’s Open build mixing Dura Ace & Sram parts it’ll be possible even if they don’t extend the rear mech’s range.
Of course it will be possible. It's already possible. I've said that several times now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

morrisond wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:40 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:18 pm
New GRX and a new XTR based Mullet is definitely needed. I think Shimano is missing out on a lot of the market.
No mullet needed when it arrives next year and will handle a 10-51 1x12sp cassette.
This is what I want. What do you think the likelihood that they let current GRX di2 shifters play nice? I’ve been considering switching to sram for the mullet, but shimano’s brakes are just so good.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Karvalo wrote:You could run that same cassette with a full GRX 11sp 2x setup. You don't need to be using any XTR as it is now.
that’s great, but it wasn’t an option almost 4 years ago when I built the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

andrewbn42 wrote:
morrisond wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:40 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:18 pm
New GRX and a new XTR based Mullet is definitely needed. I think Shimano is missing out on a lot of the market.
No mullet needed when it arrives next year and will handle a 10-51 1x12sp cassette.
This is what I want. What do you think the likelihood that they let current GRX di2 shifters play nice? I’ve been considering switching to sram for the mullet, but shimano’s brakes are just so good.
Judging by the incompatibility between 11 & 12 speed Dura Ace/Ultegra probably not.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 am
Karvalo wrote:You could run that same cassette with a full GRX 11sp 2x setup. You don't need to be using any XTR as it is now.
Then why are you complaining about pre-GRX problems in a GRX thread as if they are relevant to anything?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Karvalo wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Then why are you complaining about pre-GRX problems in a GRX thread as if they are relevant to anything?
Not complaining at all. I’m looking forward to Shimano expanding the range GRX offers so I can use a full group rather than a less than optimum hack.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:23 pm
Karvalo wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Not complaining at all. I’m looking forward to Shimano expanding the range GRX offers so I can use a full group rather than a less than optimum hack.
Which, again, you can do now with current 11sp GRX with the only non-series part being the cassette.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Does 800 get Ultegra nextgen upgrades next year, then 600 the 105 changes (or 2 changes for 12 di2 and 12 mech?), then 400 coming after a Tiagra upgrade?
Or do all tiers of GRX get upgraded together?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Karvalo wrote:Which, again, you can do now with current 11sp GRX with the only non-series part being the cassette.
With all due respect, that isn’t really the point is it?

I already have a built bike, so am looking to what Shimano has in store for the next iteration. Given that it is barely a season away I’m not going to waste a chunk of change to fiddle with my current set up, am I?

Thanks for your eminently helpful insights.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am
Karvalo wrote:Which, again, you can do now with current 11sp GRX with the only non-series part being the cassette.
With all due respect, that isn’t really the point is it?

I already have a built bike, so am looking to what Shimano has in store for the next iteration. Given that it is barely a season away I’m not going to waste a chunk of change to fiddle with my current set up, am I?
The point is this whole conversation has been with respect to you thinking they need to expand the ability of the group or allow XTR cross compatibility to offer the range you want when the group already offers the range you want.

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

No. Next is 105. GRX won't be for 2 more years (Early 2024).

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I also think it's gonna be 2 more years for a GRX update. Why? Simply because Shimano sells all GRX groupsets they produce as of now.

Yes, the present GRX was already outdated when it came to market with its 11-speed old MTB cassette of 11-42. The range is totally inadequate once you hit the road. Also the gear jumps are too big on the lower part of the cassette. Brakes are awesome though.

Shimano's MTB range had gone 12-speed just befor that with great updates to the whole tooth profile, chain and shift quality. My guess here is that they simply didn't want to bring 12-speed gravel to market before releasing it on their road groups.

Now that Sram has lead the way with going electro only on its 12-by offering and Campag being very innovative in the gear range, Shimano can not keep up on the upper echelon of groupsets anymore.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

I'm getting impatient for a GRX 12-speed. I wonder how close the Ultegra Di2 RD and current RDs are, and if we could steal of clutch off of it.

I wouldn't mind the Ultegra hood shape, just really want Hyperglide+ and a clutch.

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

I just got word Shimano is doing a special edition GRX 'Silver' kit for some builders. It'll be a 1x or 2x 800 series group. I do not have pictures yet. But this will be for smaller builders like Pegoretti and some others. I have 3 on order when it's available. I've heard is going to be limited to a few hundred groups total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't understand why Shimano would prioritize 105 over the GRX. GRX's 1x really needs 12 speeds in this age. Unless the new GRX will come out with some new tech. that isn't ready to be released yet. Very disappointing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com