Gravel tyres have been aero tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Volsung

by Volsung

It's interesting to see this, but would be even more interesting if they combined it with rolling resistance. I'm curious if there's a point where they cancel each other out.

Also, these numbers aren't as high as forum randos lead me to believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Doesn't seem to be a too relevant factor for consideration really.
With 2.0W being the difference between the knobbiest tire in the test vs an almost slick, that is also 2mm narrower.
Rolling Resistance, control and traction should still be the highest priorities imho.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Doesn't seem to be a too relevant factor for consideration really.
With 2.0W being the difference between the knobbiest tire in the test vs an almost slick, that is also 2mm narrower.
Rolling Resistance, control and traction should still be the highest priorities imho.
This was my take away from the testing. I thought the gap could be much bigger.
Last edited by Steve Curtis on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froze

by froze

I think all this aero crap is just that...CRAP! I bet if you bought all the stuff, from helmets, to pedals, to tires, to rims, to whatever they got that make these watts savings, and added up all the watts they promise you could be hovering around 50 watts and probably more but I'm trying to be conservative, which would make you really fast, which is why it's all a marketing hype to get you to buy their crap because cyclists are gullible, just like the previous big corporate hobby, golf that had their huge promises of improving your score if you buy this and that stuff, and none of that stuff worked in golf either, nor will it with cycling, but will reduce weight by making your pocketbook lighter.

warthog101

by warthog101

froze wrote:I think all this aero crap is just that...CRAP! I bet if you bought all the stuff, from helmets, to pedals, to tires, to rims, to whatever they got that make these watts savings, and added up all the watts they promise you could be hovering around 50 watts and probably more but I'm trying to be conservative, which would make you really fast, which is why it's all a marketing hype to get you to buy their crap because cyclists are gullible, just like the previous big corporate hobby, golf that had their huge promises of improving your score if you buy this and that stuff, and none of that stuff worked in golf either, nor will it with cycling, but will reduce weight by making your pocketbook lighter.
Raced tt's for a number of years over a set course.
It absolutely makes a difference. ;)

I am now an old bastard at 53yo.
I run an specialized evade helmet and 50mm wheels on the roadie in fast bunch rides with blokes half my age. It is helping me hang on.

Have to say I am more of an aero weenie than a weight one.

froze

by froze

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:13 am
froze wrote:I think all this aero crap is just that...CRAP! I bet if you bought all the stuff, from helmets, to pedals, to tires, to rims, to whatever they got that make these watts savings, and added up all the watts they promise you could be hovering around 50 watts and probably more but I'm trying to be conservative, which would make you really fast, which is why it's all a marketing hype to get you to buy their crap because cyclists are gullible, just like the previous big corporate hobby, golf that had their huge promises of improving your score if you buy this and that stuff, and none of that stuff worked in golf either, nor will it with cycling, but will reduce weight by making your pocketbook lighter.

I run an specialized evade helmet and 50mm wheels on the roadie in fast bunch rides with blokes half my age. It is helping me hang on.

LOL!!! A helmet did all of that? LOL~!! I think the wheels did all of what you felt, the helmet didn't do squat, ask me how I know.

When I was talking about Aero BS, I was referring to the small stuff, not a bike frame or wheels. I should have clarified that in my first statement. I'm talking about the goofy stuff like pedals, shoes, tires, helmets, saddles, that sort of small stuff.

warthog101

by warthog101

froze wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:13 am

LOL!!! A helmet did all of that? LOL~!! I think the wheels did all of what you felt, the helmet didn't do squat, ask me how I know.

When I was talking about Aero BS, I was referring to the small stuff, not a bike frame or wheels. I should have clarified that in my first statement. I'm talking about the goofy stuff like pedals, shoes, tires, helmets, saddles, that sort of small stuff.
How do you know?
https://road.cc/content/feature/should- ... met-202070

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a ... n-cycling/

https://www.active.com/cycling/articles ... els-880495

At what point did I attribute all of anything to a helmet?
A helmet is part of the package, as are wheels and body position.
Of course body position is most important.
However once you have that sorted, why not a helmet and wheels?
I needed a new helmet so why not aero.
I know from multiple timed results over the same course that wheels are also effective.

This is all on a roadie however.
I do plan on some better wheels for the gravelly also.
2 sets of wheels when I travel. One with gravel tyres and road tyres on the faster wheels so only one bike needs to be taken and can be used on road or gravel.
Road tyres ime are significantly faster.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

froze wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:26 am

I'd call this a textbook manifestation of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. If nothing else, it's moving the goalposts.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The sum of the small things makes a relevant difference, especially at high speeds. Gravel however is not high speeds, really.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

froze wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:30 pm
I think all this aero crap is just that...CRAP! I bet if you bought all the stuff, from helmets, to pedals, to tires, to rims, to whatever they got that make these watts savings, and added up all the watts they promise you could be hovering around 50 watts and probably more but I'm trying to be conservative, which would make you really fast, which is why it's all a marketing hype to get you to buy their crap because cyclists are gullible, just like the previous big corporate hobby, golf that had their huge promises of improving your score if you buy this and that stuff, and none of that stuff worked in golf either, nor will it with cycling, but will reduce weight by making your pocketbook lighter.
Posted unironically in the weight weenie forum.