1-1.5kg gravel frameset with 68mm bottom bracket

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

avandalen

by avandalen

I want to build a lightweight electric gravel bike with a revolutionary mid-drive motor of my own design. Think of about 14kg including battery and a Rohloff gear hub. My motor can be mounted on any frame just like the TSDZ2.

For this, I’m looking for the lightest frameset, 1-1.5kg. It is important that the bottom bracket must be 68mm wide, preferably PF30. (86mm bottom brackets will make the Q factor too large).
A gravel frame is necessary due to the wide tires.

An aluminum frameset with carbon fork is my preference.
The disadvantage of carbon frames is that you can’t use a Pletscher rear kickstand on it (without ugly mounting brackets). I use the ebike for my solar-powered bike, the Maxun One, and therefore I absolutely need a kickstand.

An aluminum frame is also more tolerant of the mechanical stress from the mid-drive motor and the mounting of the solar panels.
https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/solarb ... solar-bike
The frame must also have rear rack mounting points. But note that my luggage carrier weighs 120 gram. I never have more than 1kg of luggage, not even for multi-day trips.

So these are the requirements:
Aluminum or carbon gravel-frameset.
Weight 1-1.5kg
68mm bottom bracket
Rear rack mounting points

Who can help me?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

-
Last edited by Aesch on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aesch

by Aesch

Carbonda cfr 696

1400grams, mounting points, BSA 68, well known manufacturer and model. Reasonable price and you can have it painted any way you like it too.

I live in the Netherlands too and ride one, you're welcome to check it out.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Aesch wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 pm
1400grams, mounting points, BSA 68,
It sounds like he's after BB30 or PF30. Once you include cups BSA 68 and BB86 are the same width.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I use a PF30 on my 696 with a Rotor BB. It works really nicely and this BB a has seen over 7500 wet UK/Irish and Swiss miles.

avandalen

by avandalen

Thank you for your advice.
The weight is 1660g, this is not soo lightweight.
But the frame may therefore be stronger than lighter frames?
I can't use BSA-68mm because my mid drive motor needs a pressfit botom bracket system, no screw thread.
Last edited by avandalen on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

avandalen

by avandalen

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 am
I use a PF30 on my 696 with a Rotor BB. It works really nicely and this BB a has seen over 7500 wet UK/Irish and Swiss miles.
So it can be ordered with PF30?

Aesch

by Aesch

You can mail Carbonda to ask. This frame is produced under many different names (bomb track hook ext c, obed, planet x, forwards gr20, etc). These have t47 and BSA for sure, and maybe also a PF version.

rjich

by rjich

Best to search through the available bike brands and their Alu frames for you to ascertain which are the lightest. Perhaps a Cannondale Caad or something like that.
If you could present your findings then I'm sure many people here would be able to share some feedback if they've had those frames before. My old Wilier Alu frame was about 1.5kg but that was a good decade old.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

I would second the Carbonda recommendation - I think it's workable, it's affordable, and it's a very popular frame so any issues should have been ironed out by now.

(I know nothing about kickstands, but if you want aftermarket accessories, it really helps to have something popular)
Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm
I'm really not interested in debating.
It should have ended here. Take it somewhere else; people come here to read about bike stuff, not pages of pointless bickering.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Removed the off-topic "debate", here is an article explaining it, now let's keep this on topic
https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/three-common ... tions.html

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bobrayner wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:30 pm
I would second the Carbonda recommendation - I think it's workable, it's affordable, and it's a very popular frame so any issues should have been ironed out by now.
Except that it fails to meet the one critical requirement for the build of having a 68mm bearing width. Despite Steve Curtis's bizarre misunderstandings you cannot make a BSA frame into a PF30.

The T47 version sold by Bombtrack could work with an internal instead of external BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com