fork mount bag options without mounting screws

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Discodan

by Discodan

Hi All

To date my gravel touring trips have all been credit-card accommodation so I've not had to carry camping gear but that's starting to change. I don't have the capacity on the bike at the moment for a bivvy and a sleeping bag so using the forks seems like the logical next step. I"m thinking a bivvy on one side and sleeping mat on the other so quite light but bulky. The issue is I don't have mounting bolts on the fork and the legs have a reasonable taper (see below)

Is anyone aware of a good solution for mounting bag cages or bags on forks without mounts? It will tackle some rough stuff so needs to be pretty robust and not slip down. All help is greatly appreciated

cheers
d

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Harness and Handlebar bag is the way to go here.

Full size frame bag is also great if you want more space. Put a bladder in it for water

Marin

by Marin

Oh, and what bike is this?

Discodan

by Discodan

Yes I"ll definitely get a harness and bar bag but will still need more which is why I was thinking about the forks. Another option may also be to get new forks with mounting bolts as these forks weigh a tonne but I'd preffer just to find a way to mount cages on the existing forks.

The bike is a Scott Sub10 reborn, it was originally a flat bar hybrid bike that sat in the back of my shed for years but it turns out it makes a great, but heavy, gravel bike. Geo is similar to a Ritchey Outback and it takes a 50mm tyre. It originally cost $20 to convert to drop-bar (some 105 levers) but has had a series of rolling upgrades since then, this week I've put a new 11sp groupset and some new 650b wheels on it

https://www.rei.com/product/780968/scot ... -bike-2009

satanas

by satanas

It's also worth considering a Tailfin at the rear, but they're not cheap. I'd be reluctant to trust any sort of clamps on tapered carbon forks as they'd be likely to slip unless tightened enough to possibly damage the carbon. There may be something here that might work:

https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

Discodan

by Discodan

That's a brilliant resource, thanks satanas. They're actually steel forks and super solid so it does leave options to use a clamp type solution or even to rivnut them mounts on (although I'm a little nervous about anything than weakens the fork). There was a good linked page from that on using Rivnuts with lots of comments from people who've done it on forks without problems: https://bikepacking.com/gear/rivnut-bottle-cage-mounts/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

If the forks are steel you can just use hose clamps of similar to add cargo cages. That's a clean and popular setup.

You could also check if there's a frame builder in your are who can add braze-ons to your forks.

Finding another fork is also an option, but one that fits will be hard to find - steerer, clearance, brake mounts, lenght all need to match