Which tubeless tires for Zipp 303S/ New model2021-2022???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andy4g63

by andy4g63

As the title states, I am getting a new Zipp 303S tubeless, hookless wheels.

Other than Zipp' s own G40 tire, which other tires you guys tried???

I've seen some Panracer GK, or pirelli Cinturato.

But some had problems seating the GK on those 303 Zipps and honestly I am looking in 38-42 range.

On Zipp website they have a lot of brands listed, BUT from reading it,looks to me that applies mostly to a smaller road tires like 700x30,28;32, not gravel tires...
Also what are your tire pressures for the tubeless/hookless setup u running, depending on the tire size???

In general looking for some semi slick tire that would do well in a 50/50, or 40/60 road gravel riding...

THANKS 👍

Chadbus25

by Chadbus25

Hi Andy,

I've run two different tubeless tires on my 303S - Enve SES in a 700x29 and currently, Specialized Pathfinder Pro in a 700x42. Both seated really easily using an Airshot and have had no issues with either to date (knock on wood).

Hope that helps!

Steve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NLC86

by NLC86

andy4g63 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm
As the title states, I am getting a new Zipp 303S tubeless, hookless wheels.

Other than Zipp' s own G40 tire, which other tires you guys tried???

I've seen some Panracer GK, or pirelli Cinturato.

But some had problems seating the GK on those 303 Zipps and honestly I am looking in 38-42 range.

On Zipp website they have a lot of brands listed, BUT from reading it,looks to me that applies mostly to a smaller road tires like 700x30,28;32, not gravel tires...
Also what are your tire pressures for the tubeless/hookless setup u running, depending on the tire size???

In general looking for some semi slick tire that would do well in a 50/50, or 40/60 road gravel riding...

THANKS 👍
Pirelli Gravel Cinturato Hard 40mm, never needed a compressor to seat the tires
Panarecer sometime requires compressor but in general, imho, are good tires.

For pressure I suggest to use Zipp calculator https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

trainergav

by trainergav

I did Conti Terra Speeds on my 303S' when I had them. Everything was super solid for me!

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Another vote for Pirelli.
Not tried the H but have been riding the M version for the last year, while they are heavier they hold their speed well - I've still managed to pick up a few Strava medals on very competitive off-road segments on them.
No punctures and have ridden them in some pretty inappropriate terrain.
Also super easy to install tubeless.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

The Panaracer range are the only tyres I've seen that don't want to seat on the 303S. The bead is so loose on the rim I'm seriously doubting they'd have any retention in the event of a cut or burp that deflates the tyre. No other gravel tyre I've tried on them has any issues inflating properly - conti, Vittoria, Pirelli, Teravail, Spesh, Schwalbe... all fine.

Edit: The reason you're only seeing skinny tyres listed on a compatibility chart is because above around 33mm tyre size every tubeless tyre is assumed to be compatible - even by very conservative companies like Enve. Big tyres just fit hookless better than small ones. Except Panaracer (IMO).

Cosmo

by Cosmo

I've had the opposite experience with Panaracer GK TLCs and Zipp 303 (FC not the S)-the tire is so tight it doesn't want to go over the bed ridge to seat. Typically for 38 and 43mm width new tires I use a tube to seat beads the first time; once removed the single side seats easily with the compressor (since I have a compressor why bother with a pump? :D ). It seems they need to "shape" to go on easily-a used tire reinstalled pops right on for me. 32 and 35mm seat fine without needing to tube first.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Thanks guys 👍

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Woland

by Woland

Challenge Strada Bianca. From what I've read and heard it's a (very) fast & comfortable tire with good puncture protection, and they're hookless compatible. For more grip, the Challenge Getaway is like Strada Bianca with knobs.