getting new 'cross bikes, opinions welcome

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ndbike

by ndbike

Since 2001 I've been racing on steel Lemond Poprads. I have one 2001 with the original steel fork as my "pit" bike and I have a 2006 with an Alpha Q carbon fork as my "race bike".

I like the bikes and I guess you could say I'm somewhat attached to them, however, I have the opporuntity to sell the frames and forks (keep my parts, 2006 Campy Veloce and Centaur), in order to get a Bianchi Axis and Bianchi Cross Concept.

The Axis (w/Veloce) will be the "pit" bike and the Cross Concept (w/Centaur) will be the "race" bike. I should save some weight with the Bianchis over the Lemonds. Any other real benefits?

My choices are:
1. Keep the Lemonds at least one more year
2. Do the sell/buy operation described above and get the Bianchis

What do you guys think, should I do it?

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

The cross concept fork stutters on braking, but the frame is quite light. It would be nice to have one.

What about switching to 2 cross concepts?

ndbike

by ndbike

Well, the deal is off. I was going to sell one of the Lemonds to a friend but it turns out it would have been just slightly too big. So I'll be keeping the Lemond's at least another year. Don't get me wrong, they are great, reliable frame but it would have been nice to have the super light Cross Concept.

2 Cross Concepts would have broken the bank, plus I needed the parts from the Axis to put on the Lemond I was going to sell to a friend.

So now I'll just be upgrading the "B" Lemond so that both have carbon forks.