Mix and Match Di2 Shifters for 1x?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rudi

by Rudi

Looking at upgrading my wife's gravel bike to 1x Di2. Just wondering (assuming I can't get a good deal on a pair) if there are any good non Di2 matches for the left hand shifter from a size and ergonomic point of view? I'm not precious about it being a dedicated 1x lever, I 'd just not connect the non existent FD up.

e.g. If I go GRX 815, would either the 800 or 600 series (or even 400) feel too different for the left hand?

Same with Ultegra 8070 and 105 7020 I guess?

Or is the potential cost saving not worth it (if there even is one)?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

All the mechanical hydro shifters are a lot bulkier afaik. Only mechanical rim brake shifters get you the slimline hoods.

If you're going 1x I'd favour getting two DI2 shifters and setting up Sram style left hand up / right hand down shifting anyway.

Rudi

by Rudi

That was what I feared. Good call on the Di2 set up though, hadn't thought about that. Guess I just need to bite the bullet on the cost :-)
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Rudi wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm
That was what I feared. Good call on the Di2 set up though, hadn't thought about that. Guess I just need to bite the bullet on the cost :-)
Have you actually looked at the prices? GRX 810 and 815 shift levers are almost the same price anyway. The 'empty' 810 lever is cheaper but only by about £60 retail.

Sure a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks but it's not that much in the grand scheme of things and worth it to unlock the easiest shifting the rest of the group is capable of.

kroem

by kroem

di2 vs mech have totally different ergo, so dont do it. I run the GRX with my Ultegra di2 for road because I like them so much - but they are not for everyone, so I would check that first!
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)