Crux v Open U.P.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jonmc7583

by jonmc7583

I currently ride an Aethos as my road bike and had been eyeing a Crux for my gravel events. But I have the opportunity to build an Open U.P. In a very similar build to the Crux (Expert) for about 13% less money AND get a power meter.

Knowing I like the Aethos makes it harder to pass on the Crux, but I know the Open is well liked too.

Which way would you go and why?

Thanks for your input!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Both are great. You won't go wrong with either. Go with the one with the better offer or that makes you happier.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

expatscot

by expatscot

i've just built up an UPPER. First impression is that it's fab. Delighted with it, albeit I've only done a 100km test ride thus far.
Look 695 aerolight eTap 11
Boardman TTE eTap 11
Brompton S2 LX ti custom
Trek 5500 1994 Sram Red 10
Boardman CXR9.8 eTap 11
Open UPPER - DA 9270
Ridley x-fire Sram Red 10

and lots of non- WW others.

veloduffer

by veloduffer

Get the one that fits better. Many folks like a more upright position for gravel, so shorter reach and/or higher stack. I would compare geometry with your Aethos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lell87

by Lell87

I think it was mentioned elsewhere, but outdoorbros on YouTube has a Crux and Aethos, and had an UPPER. FWIW, he might have some additional insight/opinions.

boots2000

by boots2000

Questions that you need to answer.
1.) What size do you ride?
2.) Are are your position needs in terms of toptube length and seat angle?
3.) What is your road to offroad split?
4.) What gearing do you intend to run?

Open has a slack seat angle, relatively short reach due to short toptube and said slack seat angle. So some sizes have a pretty massive toeclip overlap. Especially with bigger tires.
I feel like the Open is the "road bike" of gravel bikes. This may be a good thing for some, bad thing for others.
Crux has a bit more stack, a bit more front center. Its limitation (for some) could be gearing. It was designed for one by, can fudge some 2xsetups, but there is limited space.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The reach of the Crux is a little larger. For me personally, I just ride it with a 10mm shorter stem than I would the Upper. A shorter stem is cool for technical terrain, a longer stem nicer for more road focus.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

I can't see the UPPER being a better overall choice right now than the brand new Crux - this coming from someone who had the UPPER and also had the previous-gen Crux.
-The geo is a bit of hit and miss in my case. BB drop is a little high at 70mm, but seat tube and head tube angles lead to weird fitment issues, toe overlap, slightly slower handling and rear tire size limitations.
-Supposedly the Aethos and Crux are incredible for ride quality. The UPPER at it's time was great, but might be surpassed by now. The earlier gen Crux (2018-2021) was every bit the ride quality equal of the UPPER, if having more cross-focused geo and tire clearance.
-The chain drop issue is real - not sure whether it's a function of geo or if the BB / chainstay intersection design is lacking
-Threaded BB vs BB386

But if the geo works for you the UP is still a great bike. Just looking at the reviews from trusted press and other stats and information the new Crux seems like a real, if expensive, winner.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Happened to just find this:
https://youtu.be/m9T-JGZEXPc
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

photocycler

by photocycler

Curious OP, what did you end up getting? I have a crux but thinking about building an UP as I am doing more road than gravel and looking for more of an all road bike.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

the new crux is very much a good road bike
with appropriate tires

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com