Lightweight wide saddle recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Looks great and the weights for the 150mm seem ok. Problem is it is about as pricey as the s works so do I try something new that doesn't have a huge weight savings over the Phenom?

I have wanted to try a SQ, but they seem to be pretty hard to come by in 150

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Well I decided to go with the Elita One saddle as I was buying the seatpost as well.

I can't find anything on the saddle, but since the seatpost reviews are overall good, I figured it was a $27 risk I could take. Total cost for the 27.2x400 seatpost and the 155 saddle was $57.

Total weight is 288g. The saddle weight 141g

andy4g63

by andy4g63

tritiltheend wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:40 am
chupster98 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm
Strongly recommend the Selle San Marco Shortfit Carbon FX

Price for the weight is OK - see link below at PBK.

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-saddl ... 75463.html

I struggled for years- if not decades, with saddle sore issues. Always blamed the crappy bibs I could afford at the time.

Once I got to the point of being able to afford the fancy Italian bibs - for me it is Assos bibs & discomfort remaining the same, I decided to invest on a good saddle once & for all.

Won’t tell u the long process that brought me to the Shortfit, but it was the end of my struggles. It is light at 139 gr & the shell is lightly padded has a bit of flex , which made a huge difference comfort wise. I couldn’t believe how comfortable it was, once I got into the 4-5 hr rides.

I have it on 3 of the bikes (2 road & gravel).

Shape wise - it is similar to the Fizik Aliante curved shape & being short , it allows you to move easily & with no painful spots. I can get low when taking the hard pulls on the drops, no pain at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This saddle looks interesting and seems well priced for a carbon rail saddle. How much padding is there? I like a bit of padding for gravel riding, doesn't have to be super cushy but not unpadded either. I have found I get along well with a short saddle, am currently using a 247g Cervelo-branded saddle on my Aspero that is almost certainly made by the same supplier as Supercaz and is a knock off of the Specialized power, but would like to shed some weight.
I second this option above.

I have 2 of these saddles on a 2 different bikes.

One road, one gravel.

The one on the road bike with carbon rails weights 136g.

The one for gravel bike with round XSILITE rails is a notch down and weights respectable 164 g.

Padding is light but the shell has a flex into it and because is curved is keeping you in place.

But If you want to ride on the nose is no problem..

Nose is a little narrower than Shimano pro stealth.

The cutout does it's job nicely.

Overall very happy

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I love my new Cadex saddle. It's 140 grams and is super comfortable.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Unfortunately the San Marco is narrow at 144. The Cadex is interesting, but is more expensive than a S works Phenom so I might as well go with what I know if dropping that coin.

I appreciate the ideas, keep them coming.

I am still waiting on the SQlab 612 Carbon 150. They are doing some moving so I can't buy the saddle right now, but $200 seems better than the $315 Cadex.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Got a link to the saddle? I'm in a similar boat... measure more like a 143 but seem to have better luck at a 155mm.

Not so many choices, so I'm always on the look out for another (better) option.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Are you asking me for a link to the saddle I found?

Also finally found a SQlab 612 Carbon to try.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I had been a Berthoud Aravis rider (wide saddle) for many years. Recently caught the weight weenie bug and tried a few modern carbon saddles.

Found MCFK Open Leather padded140mm to fit quite well, rides wider than the 140mm suggests.
Then got Berk Lupina padded in 150mm and it is also very comfortable. Both of these weigh less than 110 grams.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Kurt,

Here is the link for the Elita One saddle if thats what you were asking for:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280861 ... mainSearch

Second one I recieved had some imperfections on one of the rails, so we will see how long it lasts. I can only recommend them based off of price and weight, as I have yet to test them in the real world.

I would get a Berk, but sounds like they break and they are ungodly expensive, so if I pay that much I need it to not break.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:43 pm
Kurt,

Here is the link for the Elita One saddle if thats what you were asking for:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280861 ... mainSearch

Second one I recieved had some imperfections on one of the rails, so we will see how long it lasts. I can only recommend them based off of price and weight, as I have yet to test them in the real world.

I would get a Berk, but sounds like they break and they are ungodly expensive, so if I pay that much I need it to not break.
Hey thanks, I didn't get a notification of your reply.

How's it holding up? Other question I have is how soft is it? Pretty hard to quantify obviously, but I don't like saddles that are too soft.

Thanks again!

Kurt

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Haven't had a chance to ride them yet. One is on my fat bike and the other on a gravel bike.

I have been sick and then out of town. Once I get rides in I will let you know.

They feel soft but in a non supportive way so I assume they will actually be firmer if that makes sense.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

yourrealdad wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:04 pm
Haven't had a chance to ride them yet. One is on my fat bike and the other on a gravel bike.

I have been sick and then out of town. Once I get rides in I will let you know.

They feel soft but in a non supportive way so I assume they will actually be firmer if that makes sense.
Bugger about being sick.

Ok, would be good to hear your experiences.

My last saddle was/is a "C59" eBay special. Full carbon, meshed well with my bibs for 2-3 hour rides.

I guess for the price of this saddle I can always remove the padding, cheap enough that if it doesn't work it's a minimal loss.

Kurt

Tavinski

by Tavinski

Fizik Argo top-end saddles could be a good option. Just over 200g

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I have used the Arione and Antares saddles and they were some of the most uncomfortable I have used. Granted they were narrower and the Argo is wider and looks more inline with a Power, but again it is heavier than a Phenom.

Saddle either needs to be lighter than a Phenom and/or cheaper (sub $300).

I have an Alptitude Gardena coming in as it was $100 cheaper than a Birk and $70 less than the Phenom. Plus about 50% less weight than Phenom.

Also have a SQlab 612 coming. Same weight as the Phenom, but $100 cheaper.

So I have a few saddles to try out and I will report back.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Took the Elita one out for its first ride. 100mi on road, gravel, and some single track. Handled everything great and was comfortable over 8hrs. Can't comment on long term durability yet, but it seems to be a decent buy, especially if it keeps its form and doesn't break.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com