Lightweight wide saddle recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Hello,

Looking for some recommendations for a gravel and a road saddle that is lightweight <150g and is around 155mm. Preferably cheaper than an sworks

Right now I am using pretty much Specialized across the board and my favorite has been the Sworks Phenom. I also have Romins and Powers. Basically most variety and version minus the 3D versions. Preference is Phenom, Power, Romin in that order.

I actually measure more inline with a narrow saddle, but have tried so many 143 and narrower but get saddle sores with them. Fitter recommended 155 and not had a problem since.

For gravel looking for something that can handle the abuse.

For road looking for something that can handle up to 15hr rides.

Thanks ahead of time

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Pro Stealth Superlight, maybe? Weight is quoted as "from 145g", which must correspond to the narrower (142mm) version, but probably the wide (152mm) version is not that much heavier.

It's a short saddle like the Specialized Power, but flatter both front to back and side to side.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

blaugrana wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Pro Stealth Superlight, maybe? Weight is quoted as "from 145g", which must correspond to the narrower (142mm) version, but probably the wide (152mm) version is not that much heavier.

It's a short saddle like the Specialized Power, but flatter both front to back and side to side.
Using the Pro Stealth Superlight 152mm on my Aspero right now-I did weight it at one point and it was just under 150g. No issues so far (I'm about 68 kg) but I have only had the bike for a few months and have not yet taken it on anything seriously rough. I also use the Specialized Power 155 saddle on other gravel and road bikes and the Pro Stealth works fine for me fit and comfort wise, though I can't vouch for it for a 15 hour ride!

rjich

by rjich

I use the s works power with carbon rails as you mentioned above. Works great for me at 70something KG. I also have the elaston version which is wider and comfier with the same squishy padding as Adidas Boost soles. But it's 230g not 150 or so.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Yeah I have the power in comp and pro elaston. The elaston is definitely more comfortable, but it is pretty heavy like you mentioned.
With the power you are definitely locked into a position and I have used it on long rides, but would prefer something you can move around in a little more.

I have all the models of the Phenom and the sworks is surprisingly or maybe not surprisingly the most comfortable. It is just a little on the pricey side and not super light for that price @ 150g for $300.

I am trying to find a saddle along the lines of Berk or Tune that is lighter/cheaper than the sworks, but also has that wide flatter Phenom shape.

Ideally Gelu would make a wider saddle. I like the look, weight and reviews of their stuff, but it seems that lightweight stuff is only for the super narrow sitboned

:cry:

rjich

by rjich

I dream of shops which have a little seat post arrangement, with saddles you can try out!

I agree, for me changing position causes more effort on those specialized saddles. I had a Sworks phenom but always got caught on the nose (?) of the saddle as I don't wear lycra. Luckily another bike came with the power saddle which suits for now.

Perhaps more MTB orientated shapes could help? I have one of the selle Italia carbon railed MTB orientated ones. I forget the model (something on sale at wiggle), but it was very easy to shift around.

Vik61

by Vik61

Bjorn Setka 155
https://bjorncycles.com/tproduct/1-242246431431-setka

I'm testing Sedlo 143 version for now
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

In my opinion Syncros make some of the best saddles in business and because they are a Scott house brand they are typically available at a pretty good price. I have 4 carbon railed Syncros saddles an spent no more than $150.00 USD for any of them and quite a bit less for some.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

The Bjorn looks interesting but probably weighs the same as the sworks and is way more money. Plus I don't know if it fits.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Just quickly looking at the synchros saddles and the SL which I assume is their lightest is 190g and only 145mm so not what I am looking for. Thanks though.

chupster98

by chupster98

Strongly recommend the Selle San Marco Shortfit Carbon FX

Price for the weight is OK - see link below at PBK.

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-saddl ... 75463.html

I struggled for years- if not decades, with saddle sore issues. Always blamed the crappy bibs I could afford at the time.

Once I got to the point of being able to afford the fancy Italian bibs - for me it is Assos bibs & discomfort remaining the same, I decided to invest on a good saddle once & for all.

Won’t tell u the long process that brought me to the Shortfit, but it was the end of my struggles. It is light at 139 gr & the shell is lightly padded has a bit of flex , which made a huge difference comfort wise. I couldn’t believe how comfortable it was, once I got into the 4-5 hr rides.

I have it on 3 of the bikes (2 road & gravel).

Shape wise - it is similar to the Fizik Aliante curved shape & being short , it allows you to move easily & with no painful spots. I can get low when taking the hard pulls on the drops, no pain at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

chupster98 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm
Strongly recommend the Selle San Marco Shortfit Carbon FX

Price for the weight is OK - see link below at PBK.

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-saddl ... 75463.html

I struggled for years- if not decades, with saddle sore issues. Always blamed the crappy bibs I could afford at the time.

Once I got to the point of being able to afford the fancy Italian bibs - for me it is Assos bibs & discomfort remaining the same, I decided to invest on a good saddle once & for all.

Won’t tell u the long process that brought me to the Shortfit, but it was the end of my struggles. It is light at 139 gr & the shell is lightly padded has a bit of flex , which made a huge difference comfort wise. I couldn’t believe how comfortable it was, once I got into the 4-5 hr rides.

I have it on 3 of the bikes (2 road & gravel).

Shape wise - it is similar to the Fizik Aliante curved shape & being short , it allows you to move easily & with no painful spots. I can get low when taking the hard pulls on the drops, no pain at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This saddle looks interesting and seems well priced for a carbon rail saddle. How much padding is there? I like a bit of padding for gravel riding, doesn't have to be super cushy but not unpadded either. I have found I get along well with a short saddle, am currently using a 247g Cervelo-branded saddle on my Aspero that is almost certainly made by the same supplier as Supercaz and is a knock off of the Specialized power, but would like to shed some weight.

Vik61

by Vik61

yourrealdad wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:11 pm
The Bjorn looks interesting but probably weighs the same as the sworks and is way more money. Plus I don't know if it fits.
Not the same weight.
3D printed top cover saddles:
S-works Power - 205 g
S-works Romin - 185 g
Setka - 135 g

Bjorn Sedlo (without 3D cover) - 90 g
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I am not looking at the mirror saddles as they are bonkers pricing.

My s works Phenom is about 160g the Setka in 143mm is 139g, so the 155 version is going to be about 10-15g heavier which makes it almost the same weight as my Phenom and much more expensive.

The selle San Marco looks interesting but again it is in a 144mm width. I am looking for around 155mm width saddles.

My measurements say I should run a 130-143 saddle but I have tried probably 20 different saddles in those ranges and nothing ever worked.

I went to 155 specialized and no more saddle sores

P.S.

I also went trying many nice bibs and love the Assos, but they did not solve the problem either.
Cento Evo plus 155 saddle is the best combo for long rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.