Fell in love for the wrong gravel frame...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

Dear Bikers,

I was in the market for an ti or steel gravel frame, to use as bad weather road bike and the ocasional dirt road bike.
And of course the market is poor for these frames and waiting more than a half year for such is not an option for me.

So I came across a ti beauty, but is is quite long. It has a 402mm reach, for a 54/55 frame.
Now I have a road bike with a reach of 385mm and ride this with a 120mm stem. Stack is Ok.

Would it be option to go for this frame and to ride it with a 100mm stem, or is there something I'm missing?
Of course wheelbase it also longer (1038mm) oposed to my road frame (997mm). But will this feel too "long", even for a gravel bike?

The angles are quite the same and I know a lot of other factors have impact on the ride charistics.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I prefer a shorter stem on my gravel bikes. My current (custom) bike has 420mm reach and I'm riding an 80mm stem.

What frame is it?

rolfo

by rolfo

It's a Mosaic GT 45 frameset.

Marin

by Marin

Lovely!

I can't even find a frame with 402mm reach in their tables -> https://12d7882e-0167-341e-3006-5d914e2 ... 28d188.pdf

But again, shorter stem is usually fine, and longer wheelbase is good on gravel IMO

rolfo

by rolfo

It is indeed a custom frame, with custom (strange) geometry. That probably why it on sale.
So it has a 402mm reach, with a 552mm stack, combined with a 545mm seatube. A long low frame.

Problem is indeed that it looks so fine ;-)

rolfo

by rolfo

Would look like this, the road bike vs the gravel bike. And yes I like the deep sit ;-)
And the goal is (for a start) to have the same bikefit on the Gravel as on the road bike, as I would like to be able to exchange them, and just want to be able to use the gravel bike for offroad, but more on road.

https://myalbum.com/album/vTLbYnH5Kz4c4Z

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I don't see any reason to think the gravel frame is the wrong geometry for you unless you're trying to force it to feel exactly like a road bike - but then why bother getting it in the first place?

Vive la difference!

rolfo

by rolfo

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:18 pm
I don't see any reason to think the gravel frame is the wrong geometry for you unless you're trying to force it to feel exactly like a road bike - but then why bother getting it in the first place?

Vive la difference!
Indeed, exactly the same is not needed ;-) But I thought the 402 reach was a bit (too) strange for my measurements (bike fit)

smokva

by smokva

Reach measure without stack is not comparable.
Bike 1: Stack 580, 2mm spacers, reach 400, same stem
Bike 2: stack 600, 0mm spacers, reach 400, same stem

Bike 1 is actually 6 mm shorter!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Consider ST angle and bars, as it may move your around a bit.

I maintain a box-o-stems that my friends and I pass around. Just swap out $20 stems till you find a good one, then buy the nice one.