Cervelo Aspero-5 Integrated cockpit options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rayray12

by rayray12

I recently purchased an Aspero-5 and was sadly dissapointed by the weight of the bar and stem. Cervelo put a lot of effort into knocking 100grams off of the frame and jacking the price up by nearly 2k and then put on a ST32 stem that weighs 207g in a 90mm and a flared AB09 handlebar that weighs 300g in a 42c.
I am looking for a much lighter setup that is still fully integrated. My prefrence is a 110mm stem in a -10-12 degree range and a shallow drop bar.
I'm currently considering an Enve SES AR bar, a black inc bar, and some options from 3t. FSA makes several stem options with the drop I'm looking for but I'm mentally struggling with white logos and a non matching cockpit. I had considered a extralight stem but I see some reviews about bar slip. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! BTW the frame with hardwear removed with the plastic downtube frameprotector in a size 54 lime shimmer colorway is 1030g.

jayjay

by jayjay

You could use the Cervelo ST31 stem and HB13 bar from the Caledonia 5. But not sure where to purchase it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rayray12

by rayray12

I purchased an ST31 stem and swapped the bolts for Ti bolts and it was still 173 grams. Cervelo only seems willing to recomend their own stems. The headset bearing cap is shaped with a hole but looks like it will acomodate most stems as long as they are not flat. Cervelo does not have a flat headset bearing top cap at this point, FSA says they are working on one. Deda claims that several of their stems work including the super box stem, this would only work if you took a belt sander to the Cervelo Headset top cap... I understand why all of the online bike sites are complaining about integrated cockpits.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I am building an Aspero5 up for myself. There are a bit of different options out there as the D shapped steerer, and these integrated cockpits are becoming more common. However like a lot of things in this industry, availability is a challenge. Colnago uses a D shaped steerer, and the UAE team specs Deda cockpits on their bikes. I was really looking into going to the Deda Alanera bar/stem, but the availability just is hard to come by. Those bars are made for a round steerer, and they use a shim to work with the d-shaped Colnago steerers. I verified with a contact at Cervelo, and he did confirm that the D shape they use works with stems designed to work with round tubes as well. From what I gather from Colnago owners the shim was made as an afterthought, because stems wouldn't stay tight. So it would likely work well on a Cervelo D-shaped steerer as well.

I have an event in 6 months I plan to race this bike in, and I've seen how availability has been in this industry for the last 1.5yrs, and I'm not confident I could get one in time. Instead I grabbed a Cervelo carbon stem in the appropriated length, and I'm ordering a Deda Superzeo RS handlebar. In the meantime I'll run the original Cervelo handlebar.

Visqu

by Visqu

Van Aert seems to be using FSA OS 115 stem, or something very similar on his bikes with integrated front end.
Some pics where you can see this:
Van Aert's R5 in auction: https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/54034957- ... cervelo-r5
Jumbo-Visma Paris-Roubaix Caledonia-5: https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/image-ga ... s-roubaix/
Van Aert's R5 CX also has a something different: https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/race-rep ... t-and-vos/

The question now is, are they using a wedge with a standard stem and how is the cable routing managed.
Is there space for hydraulics and a di2 wire if the stem clamp is standard?
Or are these stems customized somehow?

Interested in this as I'm contemplating on buying an Aspero 5 and would rather not utilize the heavy stem.
Other choices that I'm looking at are just using a regular stem and routing the cables externally in a similar way as Tarmac SL7.

Edit. Most likely the stem in the latest CX races is FSA SL-K MTB stem.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

They are probably using some sort of wedgelike Colnago does with their D-Shaped steerers.

Also, I bought a carbon R-5 stem for my Aspero5 build. It's not too bad in weight. I just weighed it for you to share. It is 150g+20g for the proprietary top cap in a 120mm length.

Visqu

by Visqu

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:52 pm
They are probably using some sort of wedgelike Colnago does with their D-Shaped steerers.

Also, I bought a carbon R-5 stem for my Aspero5 build. It's not too bad in weight. I just weighed it for you to share. It is 150g+20g for the proprietary top cap in a 120mm length.
Thanks for sharing the weight!
150g for 120mm isn't that bad, on the heavy side though, but I'd be running a 90mm stem so slightly lighter even.

I somehow doubt there is a wedge in Van Aert's bikes, or if there is, it's a really small one covering only about half the height of the stem clamping area and even then it would really only make contact with a small ridge in the stem clamp due to the steerer shape and the stem's central cavity. The cables would eat up the space in the lower half so no space for wedge there.

The Cervelo steerer, unlike other D-shaped steerers, looks like it could work quite well with a normal round clamp.
Let's see, if I ever manage to get an Aspero-5 that is :)

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Visqu wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm

150g for 120mm isn't that bad, on the heavy side though, but I'd be running a 90mm stem so slightly lighter even.

I somehow doubt there is a wedge in Van Aert's bikes, or if there is, it's a really small one covering only about half the height of the stem clamping area and even then it would really only make contact with a small ridge in the stem clamp due to the steerer shape and the stem's central cavity. The cables would eat up the space in the lower half so no space for wedge there.

The Cervelo steerer, unlike other D-shaped steerers, looks like it could work quite well with a normal round clamp.
The piece for the Colnagos to use round steerers basically just fits on the top cavity of the stem where the flat part of the D to the round part of the stem under the top cap. Basically just like you described. I read that people used round stems on them before, but they came loose. The wedge stops that from happening.

I figured just going with the Cervelo stem eliminates the problem. It fits as it was designed. Plus, I prefer carbon stems. They produce different ride characteristics compared to aluminum stems. Stiffer, yet providing vibration dampening. I figure I'll just buy a Deda Super Zero RS handlebar to mount to it, whenever I can find one.

Visqu

by Visqu

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 pm
Visqu wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm

The piece for the Colnagos to use round steerers basically just fits on the top cavity of the stem where the flat part of the D to the round part of the stem under the top cap. Basically just like you described. I read that people used round stems on them before, but they came loose. The wedge stops that from happening.

I figured just going with the Cervelo stem eliminates the problem. It fits as it was designed. Plus, I prefer carbon stems. They produce different ride characteristics compared to aluminum stems. Stiffer, yet providing vibration dampening. I figure I'll just buy a Deda Super Zero RS handlebar to mount to it, whenever I can find one.
May I ask where you got the R5 stem and what did it cost?
It would appear that there are two quite similar carbon stems for the new steerer, ST-C031 and ST-C031L, the latter being for R5 and it seems to be a bit lighter.
Unfortunately the OP seems to have gotten the heavier one.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I ordered it directly from Cervelo. I work for Cervelo retailer. The one I got is the new ST-C031L. Any Cervelo retailer should be able to order them at least in the US that is, and if the size you need is available.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

After a few rides with my Aspero5, that flared AB09's days are numbered. I can't stomach the flare. It feels so uncomfortable, unnecessary, and just ugly. I'm really looking hard at the Coefficent RR handlebars although it won't save any weight necessarily. The weight weenie / aero weenie in me has me looking at Deda Superzero RS, Pro Vibe Aero SL, and as much as I thought the cable groves in the Cervelo bar was a lazy idea, it actually is unnoticeable in practice, and makes swapping bars simple.

That being said I am considering the AB09 non-flared, or the HB13. I'm having trouble finding any comparison between the two. I'm thinking about just writing Cervelo customer support for answers. It appears in the US most sizes are available.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I took delivery of Deda Superzero handlebars in 42cm. Weight was 238g, which was 60g less than my flared AB09's they replaced. Between, that, and stem (-48g), I saved 108g off my cockpit. Likely a few more by ditching the heavy bar end plugs, and my favorite Arundel Rubber Gecko Grip bartape. I also replaced the heavy QR through axles with Robert Axle Project Lightning axles. For another 60g off. I know that isn't exactly cockpit related, but I did it all at the same time.

NickReazy

by NickReazy

Hey ProfessorChaos,
Thanks for this nice threads ! I'm in the same situation than you few months ago.
I'm starting to build a Aspero5 with a sub-uci-limit weights goal, I'm just horrified about the stem and bar combo Cervelo provide with their "high top" gravel bike... They've a carbon stem on the Caledonia but they give us the alloy one... shame...

Finally how satisfied are you of your Deda combo ? Do you've cables out ?

Thanks

Michke

by Michke

Is the Easton EC90 AX Carbon not a valid alternative for the Cervelo AB09?
claied wight is 205gr in a 42cm which is 80gr less than the AB09 and 30gr less than the Deda Superzero.

Not sure the Easton EC90 AX Carbon is compatible with the stock Cervelo stem?
Based on the above I understand ST-C031L is the only other option...

thx!

ruffie44

by ruffie44

Hi,

is anyone running a fully integrated cockpit (bar and stem as one piece) on an Aspero 5?

I have a frame on order and would like to fit it with a complete cockpit but can not find any pictures online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com