Cheap aluminium/steel CX/gravel frame

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Hi there, probably not a typical WW question but this forum is a bottomless fountain of wisdom, so I'll give it a try anyway :) I want to build a VERY cheap CX or gravel bike for cruising around town. Basically I need something that fits slightly bigger tires and that I can lock up for a while and not get too upset about when it gets stolen...because it WILL get stolen at some point.

I have some old parts lying around that I could use and my initial idea was to buy an old 28" Trekking bike and convert it to drop handlebars and 1x. Problem is where I live this type of bike never seems to have been popular and all you find cheap is 26" MTBs. Also, second hand selection in my size is very slim. So I have started to look around for cheap new CX or gravel frames but can hardly find anything. You'd think if you can find $300 Carbon frames on AliExpress there should be a $150 or even cheaper aluminium or steel frame...but does not seem so.

Still, there must be something out there. A lot of cheap trekking and hybrid bikes are still sold. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy one of those frames only? CX or Gravel would be better of course but Trekking/Touring/Hybrid will probably do as well..,.could be either Canti brakes or disc. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

€200 Alu Carbon Frameset with stem and drop bar

https://www.ebay.es/itm/275037597007
'

saldegracia

by saldegracia

ooo wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:27 pm
€200 Alu Carbon Frameset with stem and drop bar

https://www.ebay.es/itm/275037597007
Thanks, but that's a road bike frame in France that's about 5 sizes too small for me....I know there's lots of bikes on ebay and other platforms, just not what I am looking for in my size in my country....hence the question about new options.
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed