Who else is running “road” wheels off-road?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have run new ZIPP hookless and ENVE AR off-road and never had any problem. TLHL is pretty nice for wide tires and low pressures.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

grnrcr wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 pm
I know hitting two rocks in a row is unlucky but the impacts really weren’t that big so I’m still a bit surprised that both rims got busted.
Well, consider that the rim breaking would have absorbed a fair bit of energy. If it had survived the impact would probably have felt a lot harsher.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I'm running Hunt Aero Wide 34 wheels on gravel. Prior to those I ran Hunt 4 season gravel wheels. The 4 season gravel wheels were pretty much indestructible and remained true no matter what I put them through.

I did BWR Kansas (110 miles, some rough and rocky sections) and both of my aero wide 34 wheels were well out of true by the end of it. Definitely a durability difference between the two. Will I go back to heavier gravel specific wheels? Probably not. If anything, I'll probably move to a set of wider hookless carbon wheels.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

rjich

by rjich

I use some Reynolds AR29 wheels with 40c tires. 21mm inner and 30mm outer rim width. I haven't really tested them on anything that rough yet.

kervelo

by kervelo

It seems that for many brands the wheels are no longer strictly categorized and the same wheels can be used on and off road. For example, Zipp recommends the new 300 series hookless wheels for gravel, endurance and race use.

Image from Zipp wheel finder.

nickf

by nickf

Been running my Farsports Kaze wheels on my gravel bike for going on over 2 years now. Many races and gravel events without issue. I have not been easy on them. Just recently had to change the bearings on the rear, Novatec hubs.

Just got in a set of the Farsports Gravel wheels 40mm deep/ 30mm wide hookless. Pretty beefy-looking rim. These will be my dedicated gravel wheels now, set up tubeless.

hwyix

by hwyix

A friend took is carbon wheel with durable road tire ( gator skins maybe ? ) on a gravel ride with us. He was doing great until he hit a big ditch. Cracked his carbon wheel :/

While I have been running cheap alloy road fulcrum wheels for two years now with no issues. They are heavy though.

hwyix

by hwyix

A friend took is carbon wheel with durable road tire ( gator skins maybe ? ) on a gravel ride with us. He was doing great until he hit a big ditch. Cracked his carbon wheel :/

While I have been running cheap alloy road fulcrum wheels for two years now with no issues. They are heavy though.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

grnrcr wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 pm
I recently switched a set of Roval CLX50 from my road bike to my gravel. Put 35mm Terra Speeds on them and have been enjoying how they feel on dirt climbs and how fast they are on tarmac descents.

Well the fun didn’t last long. On a smooth but steep gravel descent yesterday, I hit something in the dirt I didn’t see that pinch flatted both tires then I immediately hit another hard object and the impact felt directly on the rims.

The bike was not jolted in anyway because both hits really weren’t that big. But I felt the soft tires right away, got off the bike and sure enough, both rims were toast. I was able to put some air in them and limp home.

I know hitting two rocks in a row is unlucky but the impacts really weren’t that big so I’m still a bit surprised that both rims got busted. Would a set of all-road or gravel specific rims have survived? Hmm…

This is why I won't run anything but hookless anymore. So much stronger for same weight and can be made lighter to.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Count me in for kicking the shit out of some Farsports Feder 35s for about a year now. A full and muddy cross season and they are good as ever. I do run a Vittoria pool noodle though.

For gravel, the stuff I race on is normally super chunky and awful so I run some Rapid Reds for that. I've not noticed the weight gain there to be worth the risk to the lighter set. The Rapid Reds have a slightly larger bearing which seems to help over the rough stuff.

warthog101

by warthog101

Got some light bicycle WR50 wheels on the way.
Race wheels only. Don't have money to be smashing carbon wheels on rocks.
Also have some DT Swiss gr1600 aluminium wheels coming for general duties.
The Giant PX2 that came with the bike are rubbish and will be out the door.

ms6073

by ms6073

hwyix wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:05 pm
Doesn't that point more towards lack of experience than unsuitable wheels? Seems to me that would have happened to pretty much any carbon wheel should the rider not take precautions to 'unweight' the bike as the obstacle was being traversed? I raced cyclocross on Enve Twenty9 XC and Zipp 303 FC tubulars for several years and never had an issue, and that includes some marginal passes bunny hopping barriers, riding down some fast and bumpy descents, as well as up slopes that were decorated with things like rail road ties and rock steps with narry an issue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:05 pm
hwyix wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:05 pm
Doesn't that point more towards lack of experience than unsuitable wheels? Seems to me that would have happened to pretty much any carbon wheel should the rider not take precautions to 'unweight' the bike as the obstacle was being traversed? I raced cyclocross on Enve Twenty9 XC and Zipp 303 FC tubulars for several years and never had an issue, and that includes some marginal passes bunny hopping barriers, riding down some fast and bumpy descents, as well as up slopes that were decorated with things like rail road ties and rock steps with narry an issue.
This is what I was thinking. That kind of impact would've probably crushed the lip on an alloy wheelset too. I don't think material wouldve made a difference.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

hwyix

by hwyix

I think if he had 32+ mm gravel tires on his carbon wheel he would have been fine.

I have been running this combo on my gravel bike.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 1641246181

Discipline: Road / Gravel
Astm Category: 2
Weight: 1950 G / 1870 G
Rim Material: Aluminium
Continental Grand Sport Clincher tyre – 28mm

I have been smashing on these rim on mnt bike trails with no issues. Someday I might want to try my carbon wheels with some gravel king slicks. For now I have just been using my carbon wheels for road only.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Some of you are continuing to ignore that he hit a rock after already pinchflatting.

Nothing would have survived that, short of a 5kg rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com