Checkpoint SLR Vs Crux S-works frameset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

texano999

by texano999

Based on the data frameset 725 grams for Crux and 950 grams for checkpoint slr then maybe 50 grams difference for fork and seat post should reach a total difference would be arounfd 300 grams....
Checkpoint has internal tool storage and rubber protection on the bottom tube along with integrated cable.

Is it worth to choose Crux with the risk tha a stone break the bottom tube (gravel is not like a tarmac road!) and to use a more bottle cage to bring tools for 300 grams difference?
I have the checkpoint slr and doubt to swap with Crux S-works frameset.

Please share your thought in regard

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I will have an aswer soon- Except my Crux is a 10r, not a 12r.
I am building up a Checkpoint SLR as we speak, and I have a Crux Pro frame in the box (need a couple parts for it).
My thinking on getting the 10r vs. 12r was that the 12r costs 40% more and the weight savings might not be the weight savings that I need. I.E. less durability.

texano999

by texano999

thanks let me know your feedback please abut guidability and feeling

texano999

by texano999

thanks let me know your feedback please abut guidability and feeling

cerro

by cerro

Isn't that two different types of bikes. A Checkpoint feels more like a Diverge. A Crux is more racier, less comfortable and a bike made to go fast. So I would say it depends on what you want out of the bike, not matter of weight.

texano999

by texano999

i am looking for a bike stable and fast on gravel road, to be used also to travel and little in single track

nickf

by nickf

That's where the old checkpoint shines. I'm keeping mine for my travel bike. It works well on gravel and can double as a road bike. The new checkpoint is a little too adventure/gravel for my liking.

Anything can handle single track with big enough tires, but I usually avoid it unless I'm on my mountain bike.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The Checkpoint is going to put the front tire an inch further out and potentially more upright. If you're going smooth single track, the Checkpoint is less likely to throw you over the bars when you hit a suprise rock, root, or hole - this is a big deal w/o the front fork esp if you ride a larger frame size. The Crux will make a better fast paced road bike; the Checkpoint will make a better long-cruise bike.

You can put padding on the crux or hope the tool bag on the downtube saves your BB.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... r/p/23032/
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-7- ... d-new.html

RDY

by RDY

I wouldn't ride the Crux at all if you're going to do anything even remotely serious offroad. It's an Aethos in disguise. It won't survive.

kervelo

by kervelo

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

RDY wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 pm
I wouldn't ride the Crux at all if you're going to do anything even remotely serious offroad. It's an Aethos in disguise. It won't survive.
What does this mean "remotely serious"? Airtime?
Any reason to claim this?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RDY

by RDY

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 pm
RDY wrote:
Anything with lumps and bumps - i.e. not pancake smooth fire roads.

The weight of the frame doesn't lie. There's nothing exotic in it to keep it from cracking or falling apart (Dyneema for example).

Nobody else has built a gravel / CX frame remotely this light, not because they can't, but because it's a stupid idea. Specialized are counting on most of the product they sell being barely ridden, and serious riders being wary enough not to make the mistake of taking one of these offroad.

Maddie

by Maddie

I know plenty guys who are pushing their crux through their paces in cx racing including lots of crashes. So far no frame has exploded in a 1000 pieces.
For sure, in crash a lot can happen to the frame. But simply from riding the frame offroad, I'm sure it will not break.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:29 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 pm
RDY wrote:
Anything with lumps and bumps - i.e. not pancake smooth fire roads.

The weight of the frame doesn't lie. There's nothing exotic in it to keep it from cracking or falling apart (Dyneema for example).

Nobody else has built a gravel / CX frame remotely this light, not because they can't, but because it's a stupid idea. Specialized are counting on most of the product they sell being barely ridden, and serious riders being wary enough not to make the mistake of taking one of these offroad.
DurianRider is finally on this forum!
Why has no one built a disc brake bike as light as the Aethos?
I see no proof in what you say. I ride the Crux as hard as I rode the Open.
So do many others, including world tour pros.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

texano999

by texano999

questions is how important are 200-300 grams gains on frameset in gravel road...more understandable the aethos that is a bike for mountains