Checkpoint SLR Vs Crux S-works frameset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Are there any pictures to proof this?
This forum probably has the highest density of Crux and Aethos there is, and I have not heard of a single such incident.
Besides those anecdotes and arm chair bro engineers, there is no indication of the Aethos or Crux being any more prone to catastrophic failure than any other light carbon bike frame.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 am
This forum probably has the highest density of Crux and Aethos there is, and I have not heard of a single such incident.
Besides those anecdotes and arm chair bro engineers, there is no indication of the Aethos or Crux being any more prone to catastrophic failure than any other light carbon bike frame.
https://imgur.com/a/E6NsCuA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Hm, to me that looks like during the crash, the seatpost took some force and acted as a lever to the frame. It's not that the frame broke into five pieces.

That is just bad luck and has nothing to do with the Aethos being a lighter frame compared to others.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:29 am
Hm, to me that looks like during the crash, the seatpost took some force and acted as a lever to the frame. It's not that the frame broke into five pieces.

That is just bad luck and has nothing to do with the Aethos being a lighter frame compared to others.
Yes indeed it is caused by external force, but I think it is quite rare to see 4 tubes simultaneously breaking (Top tube, seat tube, and both seat stays) at a single crash while riding 18-19mph. And It is not depicted in the picture that the rear triangle got literally shattered- cracks in both chainstays and more fracture on seat stays.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Pyotrump wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:02 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
So that's your friend right there? Or just some random
Pick from east Asia with no context?

Bikes can break, all of them. Your story was more along the lines of "the bike hit the ground at 10mph and disintegrated to 5 tubes"
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:36 am
Pyotrump wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:02 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
So that's your friend right there? Or just some random
Pick from east Asia with no context?

Bikes can break, all of them. Your story was more along the lines of "the bike hit the ground at 10mph and disintegrated to 5 tubes"
Oh sorry I forgot to memtion that I am a cyclist from South korea.
the original insta post was deleted by owner after her receiving unknown amount of monetary compensation with suspicious stipulation(maybe? it was deletion of all the complaints posted online and staying silent) from Spesh korea.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

So, it's not your friend, just some pic with no context, besides this weird rumor story?
Posts of failing products from companies 100 times the size of specialized are all over Instagram/ Facebook.
I think we've seen enough of the urban legends here.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:37 pm
So, it's not your friend, just some pic with no context, besides this weird rumor story?
Posts of failing products from companies 100 times the size of specialized are all over Instagram/ Facebook.
I think we've seen enough of the urban legends here.

You are deliberately distorting my statement arent ya?

I said she is one of my acquaintences at the beginning. She even shared her experience face to face. I was with her and her husband at that time.

I explicitly wrote what I saw and experienced but you are saying "not your friend", "some pic with no context", "random gal's post from east asia". It sounds you are little bit dyaslectic or somehow snippy for I am challenging your "unbreakble spesh SW fantasy"?

it is good to be skeptical or critical to statements posted online. But your narrative or "the art of debate" is full of sarcasity and that is great!

Have a nice day sir !(it is night here though.)

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

I think the other thing to think about is the crux has quite substantially more material to it than the aethos, hence the frame is ~25% heavier.

rjich

by rjich

I'm as wary of the Crux as I am for any carbon framed bike. Less so than I would be for bikes which do not come with long warranties, testing, pro sponsorship and the support of giant companies.

Bikes will break, but unless you put different frames thru the identical test then we can't be confident what the reason is for the break!

Personally I will eventually grab a Ti bike and ratchet down the carbon is going to explode fear a bit!

cpark

by cpark

texano999 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:30 am
Finally I have tested both bike with the same components and same size...so comparison is very real. Checkpoint slr more rigid and stable at high speed, this feeling is more effective on the gravel discence in the front fork, checkpoint win also at high speed on flat road but there is no game on the ripid ascence where the crux win easily.
Over all the crux is more confortable and the ride is definitelly more enjoyable. So Looking only the enjoy to ride, the crux win.
Obviously if I use the bike for long ride with bikepacking I choose the checkpoint.For my needs i keep the Crux!
I had both bikes (just sold the Sworks Crux and still have the P1 SLR9) and I agree with you.....they do feel very similar, except the Crux felt a bit snappier/more responsive.
The checkpoint does run really long, so my checkpoint is size 54 and the Crux was 56.
I compared both bikes on bikeinsights.com and there were a lot of similarities.

jwest

by jwest

kervelo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:16 pm
Crux 2022 vs Checkpoint SL 2022:
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geomet ... 00215643c6,

Crux is much closer to Aspero:
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geomet ... 001716488f,
I didn't know of this site. Had been only using the Geometry Geeks version but it does not have the bike comparison visual overlay which I am now finding so useful for getting a sense of one bike or size to another. I'm comparing a 2023 checkpoint in 54 to 2022 boone that was a 58 but a size too tall, so on the overlay the boone 56 as what would have been an ideal Boone. I sold the 58.

One can combine this site with others to get very precise on sizes for choosing bikes if you have a good pro fitting baseline to work from.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I've ridden a Crux and a Checkpoint, though the Checkpoint was the 'standard' SL model.

In honesty, they're quite different bikes; the best analogy I can think of is it's like comparing a TCR and Defy. It's not that one's better, per se, rather that they're designed to do different jobs.

The Crux was very fast, pretty racy, and would do very good double duty (with the right gearing and tyres/wheels) as a cx or a decently-fast road bike. Someone with proper watts probably wouldn't want to race it on tarmac, but would likely have no problems more than holding his own in a paceline. It's definitely got a slightly firmer ride than some gravel bikes and with my very average skill level does feel a bit more of a handful when the terrain gets more technical. I got no sense of fragility from it, and I know of 2 riders with it who've put in plenty of robust miles without problems.I've also seen guys stack S-Works Tarmacs pretty hard and have never seen a structurally damaged frame. Granted, the Crux isn't the same bike, but I find it hard to see why it'd be much different. Overall, if I had the budget and wanted 1 bike with 2 wheelsets to do most things very well it would probably be my no.1 choice (though I'd like to ride a MOG).

The Checkpoint definitely had a smoother ride, made life noticeably easier on mtb-lite stuff, had more obvious storage options and mounting points, and felt more of a dedicated gravel bike. It wasn't slow by any means but it also wasn't electric and I wouldn't want to ride it hard on the road. It's definitely a more sensible and practical option IMO for most people. It didn't excite me, but then I also didn't ride the SLR. It's one of those bikes that is kind of 'fine' but - and this is a big provisio - assuming the SLR rides similarly, I don't quite see why anyone would have it as their first choice at that pricepoint.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Whats the largest outer chainring that's possible on the Crux in 2x?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Tooslow wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:13 am
Whats the largest outer chainring that's possible on the Crux in 2x?
Depends on the chainset.

Officially, a GRX in a 48/31 is the max Shimano will fit, or an AXS 50/37.

All Shimano 12sp road 2x combos are officially incompatible.